Solved Trying to find good replacements for Wii SMD electrolytic capacitors

Hello!

I'm trying to fix a Wii that has a weird video problem. I watched the following video by MattKC and I believe I have the exact same problem. The screen is super dark, but lightens a little bit over time. Sometimes it has other slightly weird visual errors, but that's the main one.
MattKC Fixing a $1 Wii

So I think I need to get some new capacitors, but I'm very new to the mod/repair scene and don't quite know how electronics work other than knowing how to solder/desolder simple things. He said in the video that a higher capacity voltage shouldn't matter, but I don't know if the ones I found will work.

My question is twofold:
1. Does anybody have any suggestions?
2. Would one of these capacitors work?

220uF 16V from Amazon (link here)
Capture.PNG

220uF 6.3V from eBay (link here)
Capture2.PNG

Thanks! If you have any other thoughts or think I am overlooking something, please do let me know.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hello!

I'm trying to fix a Wii that has a weird video problem. I watched the following video by MattKC and I believe I have the exact same problem. The screen is super dark, but lightens a little bit over time. Sometimes it has other slightly weird visual errors, but that's the main one.
MattKC Fixing a $1 Wii

So I think I need to get some new capacitors, but I'm very new to the mod/repair scene and don't quite know how electronics work other than knowing how to solder/desolder simple things. He said in the video that a higher capacity voltage shouldn't matter, but I don't know if the ones I found will work.

My question is twofold:
1. Does anybody have any suggestions?
2. Would one of these capacitors work?

220uF 16V from Amazon (link here)
View attachment 25684

220uF 6.3V from eBay (link here)
View attachment 25685

Thanks! If you have any other thoughts or think I am overlooking something, please do let me know.
Either of those would work for 4 of the 5 caps, but the closest cap to the AV out port must be a 16v cap as it's connected to the 12v line and will explode otherwise. The 10v cap that's off on its own by the USB ports doesn't need to be replaced unless you're having USB issues.

Also, when you're desoldering the caps you must be careful to not rip the pads off the Wii. You can desolder them using just a soldering iron with some care, but it will be much easier with a basic hot air station.

Either of those would work for 4 of the 5 caps, but the closest cap to the AV out port must be a 16v cap as it's connected to the 12v line and will explode otherwise. The 10v cap that's off on its own by the USB ports doesn't need to be replaced unless you're having USB issues.

Also, when you're desoldering the caps you must be careful to not rip the pads off the Wii. You can desolder them using just a soldering iron with some care, but it will be much easier with a basic hot air station.
Gotcha, then I'll just get the 16v ones in case I need to replace the 16v one some time in the future.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help. I'll be sure to use extra caution with my desoldering.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Gotcha, then I'll just get the 16v ones in case I need to replace the 16v one some time in the future.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help. I'll be sure to use extra caution with my desoldering.
Use lots of flux!