The WiiCube

The WiiCube

IMG-20230916-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20230916-WA0015.jpg

Hello! This is my recently completed first Wii portable, The WiiCube. I created it to play my favorite Wii and GameCube games on the go, after I saw that this was possible about a year ago from YouTube. I named it the WiiCube because I wanted it to be a mix of the Wii (white case) and the GameCube (button layout). It is also a cube. This was a super fun project and I wanted to share it in the cutting edge! Here are some of the features I included.

Features:

-Latest 4LayerTech boards (PMS Lite, RVL-AMP, GC+2, RVL-NTC)
-Crisp 5-inch 480p screen from 4layer
-3D printed case that I changed a bit later
-RVLoader (Awesome!)
-Bluetooth for WiiMotes
-Custom 3D printed trigger buttons
-Headphone jack and speakers
-USB C charging
-GameCube controls
-4 18650 batteries

IMG-20230916-WA0007.png
IMG-20230916-WA0005.png
IMG-20230916-WA0006.png
rn_image_picker_lib_temp_f988b021-dbe4-4a28-835a-d1de59219328.jpg

IMG-20230916-WA0001.png
Img_2023_05_13_12_16_58.jpeg

(The one internal picture was with another Wii, I forgot to get a picture of this one.)

Notes for next time:

-Learn Fusion360 to make a more ergonomic case
-Account for the space wires take up and route them better
-Maybe get a 3D printer so I can change the design later, I had to epoxy or glue certain things because I changed stuff later
-Design a way to screw in the top

Thanks!

-Stitches and some other forum members for answering many of my questions
-Members of the Bitbuilt Discord server for answering questions
-Retro95 for 3D printing my case
-CrazyGadget for wiring one of my Wiis and answering a ton of questions
-GingerOfOz, Shank, and Gman for inspiration from their YouTube channels, especially the WiiBoy Color video
-4Layer team for making these amazing PCBs and Aurelio for creating RVLoader

Worklog: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-wiicube-my-first-portable.5608/

Last edited:

davdav

If you still visit, I have a question as I'm considering my own build because it looks fun and because why not?

1. I see the case in it's entirety is basically same length/width as the Switch. Did you have any motherboard mods? Like the trim?

I ask because I've created a Steam Deck shell in Blender, and it got me to thinking and somehow I was led here. I could modify the shell for a Wii board+other internals, like cooling and what not. Would have to make it a bit thicker, change the input shapes (minimally, probably), triggers/shoulder buttons. Relocate a few others. Plus my dad, for some reason, has a suit case full of Nintendo Wiis. Which is amazing.

If you still visit, I have a question as I'm considering my own build because it looks fun and because why not?

1. I see the case in it's entirety is basically same length/width as the Switch. Did you have any motherboard mods? Like the trim?

I ask because I've created a Steam Deck shell in Blender, and it got me to thinking and somehow I was led here. I could modify the shell for a Wii board+other internals, like cooling and what not. Would have to make it a bit thicker, change the input shapes (minimally, probably), triggers/shoulder buttons. Relocate a few others. Plus my dad, for some reason, has a suit case full of Nintendo Wiis. Which is amazing.
Hello!

1. Are you asking if I trimmed the board? What motherboard mods do you mean?
I did consider not trimming the board at one point, but it would have been difficult. The height to the board would be uncomfortable to hold and there are other things sticking out. Also, I got better battery life and more cool features. So I would recommend trimming the board if you want to make a handheld.

2. It would be totally possible to create a Steam Deck like Wii. I think someone else here is doing that also. If you have never made a portable you might want to start with an Ashida, but you can definitely start with this project if you want to.

IMG_0102.png

Portables
working on No.1
Would you consider open sourcing this guy?

Portables
KiWii Portable (In progress)
Love seeing new people show up in the community! I havn't even finished my first portable haha. Looks awesome and can't wait to see more form you!

Would you consider open sourcing this guy?
Hello Mr. Game & Cube. Thanks for looking into my project. I would have considered open sourcing it, but I don't think it would a great idea. Some of the assembly went differently than how I wanted it to, like things taking up too much space and having difficultly fitting in one trigger. I wouldn't want someone to have those issues. Another big reason is because the shape isn't very comfortable and the 3d modeling was simpler.

In the future I would love to recreate this as WiiCube 2 or something where I can improve on the design.