Worklog The WiiCube

[EDIT: It's done! https://www.bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-wiicube.5944/
This is where I started my worklog, but I changed a lot of stuff so most of the ideas like not trimming the motherboard didn't happen.]

I decided that I would not trim the motherboard, so I wouldn't have to work with custom regulators and PCBs. For the power, I would just wire a batter pack to the normal spot for the power cord on the Wii. For the screen, I would solder a 5-inch VGA screen from 4layertech. The portable might end up being a little big, but it will be okay for me because it's my first shot at making one.

There will be updates below, but for now I just have a lot of questions.

My first question is how I would do the controls? My plan is to get a GameCube controller like this and take out the board.

[EDIT: Just use GC+]

Screenshot 2023-03-29 200236.png

Then, I would wire buttons like this to every spot for each button. (I'll find different buttons probably, thats just what it looks like.)

Screenshot 2023-03-29 201135.png

After that, I could glue real buttons on top of those. Then all of the buttons with wire I could put in holes on a 3D printed case.

I know that the buttons work by having a piece of metal move down and connect them, but my question is if this could work.
Also, if this could work, how would I do the more complicated buttons for A, B, Y, and X? (4 connections for each button) [EDIT: THEY ARE 2 CONNECTIONS]

And if this won't work, how else could I add controls to my portable? I some other crazy ideas like cutting the GameCube controller board and reconnecting it with wire so I can I can have one part on each side of the portable. I could also just use the GC+2 board from 4LayerTechnologies, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Any info would be useful, thanks!

NOTE: I'm using RVLoader with a USB drive.

Last edited:
First of all, you need to make sure you have an HDMI converter (like the Wii2HDMI or an AVE-HDMI if you don't mind soldering on the board), the Wii doesn't natively support anything other than those pesky old multi wire setups unless you wire things up for VGA internally.
I don't know what you mean by 4 connections for each button on ABXY, there's only 2, the Data line for the button and GND.
I suggest you buy a GC+ 2.0 and wire that up as it's far simpler than chopping up a controller and trying to make it work from there.

First of all, you need to make sure you have an HDMI converter (like the Wii2HDMI or an AVE-HDMI if you don't mind soldering on the board), the Wii doesn't natively support anything other than those pesky old multi wire setups unless you wire things up for VGA internally.
I don't know what you mean by 4 connections for each button on ABXY, there's only 2, the Data line for the button and GND.
I suggest you buy a GC+ 2.0 and wire that up as it's far simpler than chopping up a controller and trying to make it work from there.
Thanks for replying. I got a Wii2HDMI convertor for testing on my monitor and decided to just use it. Also, thanks for the info on the ABXY buttons. I thought that maybe they have 4 inputs because they looked a bit different. You're right about getting the GC+2 and working from there. I'll look into that.

I still think I'll experiment with a gamecube controller board, though.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I think wiring up a wii2hdmi and then wiring up HDMI internally is going to be a lot of work. I would advise using either a display that accepts either VGA or YPbPr. It will save you a lot of space and headache. YPbPr displays are harder to find, but easier to wire up.

I think wiring up a wii2hdmi and then wiring up HDMI internally is going to be a lot of work. I would advise using either a display that accepts either VGA or YPbPr. It will save you a lot of space and headache. YPbPr displays are harder to find, but easier to wire up.
Wow, Shank! Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it.

Hi again! I have another question for my portable.

I'm wondering how to set up speakers. My plan is to get speakers like this. My question is where do I solder them to? Also do I have to get some sort of board to control it for the Wii? Thanks!

[EDIT: Don't get these speakers. I was trying to get speakers from the same store, so I wouldn't have to pay more shipping. I didn't use these, and I don't think they'd work anyways.]

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hi again! I have another question for my portable.

I'm wondering how to set up speakers. My plan is to get speakers like this. My question is where do I solder them to? Also do I have to get some sort of board to control it for the Wii? Thanks!
You will need an amp, yes. I recommend you use the U-AMP-2 from 4layertech, alongside the recommended SP-1511L speakers. There are wiring diagrams in the documents tab for the U-AMP on the 4layertech site that match up with the Wii Trimming Guide

AFE123

0x737cfb7b4d5677317210bddc07c6a51a 106e1f45330ee7a
Portables
1ish.
My first question for now is how I would do the controls? My plan is to get a GameCube controller like this and take out the board.

And if this won't work, how else could I add controls to my portable? I some other crazy ideas like cutting the GameCube controller board and reconnecting it with wire so I can I can have one part on each side of the portable. I could also just use the GC+2 board from 4LayerTechnologies, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Any info would be useful, thanks!

NOTE: I'm using RVloader with a USB drive.
Well, if you can get a GC+ board from 4layertech, that'd be ideal. You can use tact switches, or make a custom pcb with the controls, which gives you a lot of wiggle room. If you want to use a controller, it gets a little complicated. If you want a Gameboy style portable, you can easily just place the board in the case, and that's all. If you want a horizontal configuration, You have few options: Wire tact switches to the controller. This is the easier approach. Another method is cutting up the controller and reconnecting the traces. It's difficult to wire reliable traces, and a lose connection is likely after using the portable for some time.

You can also remove the IC and put it on a pcb, but you're better off just getting a GC+, and third party manufacturers will most likely put epoxy on the IC.

Well, if you can get a GC+ board from 4layertech, that'd be ideal. You can use tact switches, or make a custom pcb with the controls, which gives you a lot of wiggle room. If you want to use a controller, it gets a little complicated. If you want a Gameboy style portable, you can easily just place the board in the case, and that's all. If you want a horizontal configuration, You have few options: Wire tact switches to the controller. This is the easier approach. Another method is cutting up the controller and reconnecting the traces. It's difficult to wire reliable traces, and a lose connection is likely after using the portable for some time.

You can also remove the IC and put it on a pcb, but you're better off just getting a GC+, and third party manufacturers will most likely put epoxy on the IC.
Thanks, I think I've decided what to do. I practiced some soldering and was able to make the buttons connected, so I think I'll do what I said I would in the first post.

Last edited:
I have another question, and this is for VGA output on the Wii.

I found the 4layertech screen, but I couldn't find any documents for the soldering. I am curious where the wires need to go, so can someone send a link or attached file of the wiring document. Thanks in advance.

Okay so I still have a lot more questions for my Wii portable, so I'm going to post some here.

1.) I'm not trimming the motherboard of the Wii, but I want it so that the Wii will turn on automatically when there is power making the power button obsolete. Is there a way I can do this in software, or will I have to remove the button and solder a connection? Or do I just pull the button off and have it work?

2.) Is there a way I can take off the joystick parts of the GameCube controller and wire them so I can move them to different spots?

3.) I know this is a really a question of preference, but from people who have made some Wii portables, do you think the GameCube layout or a 4 button layout like the Switch would be better for half Wii games, half GameCube games? I think the GameCube layout would make the portable more distinct as a portable Wii/GameCube and not generic. The 4 button layout also could work for both consoles. I'm just torn on what button layout I should chose. (ABXY)

4.) On my untrimmed Wii motherboard, if I solder a VGA screen to it, will the Wii output port still work? Example: I am playing a game on the portable, then I plug in Wii2HDMI to the port on the Wii to my TV.

Btw I'll post what I've done so far at the end of the week.

Last edited:

Viilmo

Portables
Okay so I still have a lot more questions for my Wii portable, so I'm going to post some here.

1.) I'm not trimming the motherboard of the Wii, but I want it so that the Wii will turn on automatically when there is power making the power button obsolete. Is there a way I can do this in software, or will I have to remove the button and solder a connection? Or do I just pull the button off and have it work?

2.) Is there a way I can take off the joystick parts of the GameCube controller and wire them so I can move them to different spots?

3.) I know this is a really a question of preference, but from people who have made some Wii portables, do you think the GameCube layout or a 4 button layout like the Switch would be better for half Wii games, half GameCube games? I think the GameCube layout would make the portable more distinct as a portable Wii/GameCube and not generic. The 4 button layout also could work for both consoles. I'm just torn on what button layout I should chose. (ABXY)

4.) On my untrimmed Wii motherboard, if I solder a VGA screen to it, will the Wii output port still work? Example: I am playing a game on the portable, then I plug in Wii2HDMI to the port on the Wii to my TV.

1. IIRC you can connect the normal 3.3v to the 3.3v standby for an automatic boot.

2. You can pretty much make your own controller with a GC+

I can't anwser your third question.

4. You can connect a switch to remove 3.3v from mode so you can connect composite, but a Wii2HDMI will not work as it uses the component output of the Wii which is disabled in favor of VGA.

One thing I can recommend for you is using a RVL-PSU Plus even if you're not trimming as the efficiency of the stock regs are horrible (40% I think?). It would pretty much double your battery life.

Last edited:
1. IIRC you can connect the normal 3.3v to the 3.3v standby for an automatic boot.

2. You can pretty much make your own controller with a GC+

I can't anwser your third question.

4. You can connect a switch to remove 3.3v from ground so you can connect composite, but a Wii2HDMI will not work as it uses the component output of the Wii which is disabled in favor of VGA.

One thing I can recommend for you is using a RVL-PSU Plus even if you're not trimming as the efficiency of the stock regs are horrible (40% I think?). It would pretty much double your battery life.
Thanks a lot! The advice is super useful, I've never did this before.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables

If memory serves, pin 19 (and TP108) on the MX chip is responsible for turning the system on. You either ground that pin, or connect 3.3v to it and the system should auto start when powered. Try grounding it first, if that doesn't work then give it some 3.3v

If memory serves, pin 19 (and TP108) on the MX chip is responsible for turning the system on. You either ground that pin, or connect 3.3v to it and the system should auto start when powered. Try grounding it first, if that doesn't work then give it some 3.3v
Ok, got it.

OK here are some updates.

1. I came up with a name for it, the WiiCube (because it is like a GameCube but also because it really is a cube)

2. I made a design of the case. Here is a picture:
Screenshot 2023-04-05 140603.png

3. I have decided to use the GameCube controls. I got a breadboard and some buttons, and they are coming later this week. (I'll have an update with the controls.)

4. I also made a list of features:
-RVLoader
-trimmed Wii motherboard
-GameCube controls with full shoulder buttons
-at least 2 hours of battery life
-HDMI out
-5-inch screen, PMS Lite, PD, and U-Amp from 4LayerTech

I'll put some of this stuff at the top of the post.

Last edited:
I have another question.

I have a 6-layer Wii, so would the Wii trimming guide still work?

Viilmo

Portables
There is another guide for 6 Layers, but its not recommended since their power draw is so high.