Swiitch 2.5rev2

Discussion in '2019 Summer Building Contest' started by BocuD, May 26, 2019.

1. BocuD . .

Portables:
    The Swiitch 2.5 rev2

So, as some of you may know I've been working on a new wii portable again for about 10 months now. The main goal of this project was to give it the same form factor as the Swiitch 2.0, except make everything as neat as possible. That has been mostly successful during the initial project, but while working on it for so long the entire project got very bloated and it kinda lost its "neatness". Thus i decided to start over, but reuse the good stuff I had in my previous design.

The main gimmick thing of this portable is probably the fact that everything is on a single board, with the wii and stuff like batteries stacked on top of that, allowing me to make it even thinner then the previous one, while increasing the battery capacity by around 30% and also making the heatsink about 5x as big. This is mostly because well, the previous one had a tendency of getting hot, and this eventually killed it.
    When it comes to features, specs whatever this should be a no compromise thing.
    Current list of features:
    Power:
    - USB C PD charging using the STUSB4500
    - BMS system that's similar but not identical to Gman's Wii PMS system (it doesn't allow me to use a 15v power source, aka the switch charger)
    - Voltage regulators that are actually stolen from Gman as my own design failed
    Screen & audio:
    - 5" IPS screen
    - Integrated lcd driver using the RTD2660, which will probably end up running custom firmware (more on this later)
    - LM49270 amp
    - These speakers (identical to the ones in the Swiitch 2.0)
    Controls:
    - Switch joycon sticks
    - GC+ 2.0
    - White New 3DS dpad and abxy buttons
    Wii:
    - LMAO v2 ish trimmed wii using Aurelio's nand boards
    - Custom CNC'ed heatsink
    Other:
    - Shapeways 3d printed case
    - Kingston microSD card reader
    - USB Data switching
    - PWM controlled fan based on the temperature of the wii (there will be an NTC under the heatsink)

This list might change in the future. hopefully just for the better
    Once I complete parts of the pcb or case I'll post pictures, tho I don't see a reason to post some of them yet.
    Thats all for now. If I get any good progress going, I'll be updating this post as well.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Miceeno, Noah, MRKane and 3 others like this.
  2. Nold ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Staff Member . . .

Portables:
    :rothink::rothink::rothink:

... no seriously, i'm really exited about this one! I love project series, that evolve & improve over time.

Stitches and BocuD like this.
  3. BocuD . .

Portables:
    So, yesterday I made some progress with that LMAO v2 ish wii..

I've got to say, those nand flex boards make it a lot easier :D
    IMG_1987.JPG

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Miceeno, E64, DeoNaught and 3 others like this.
  4. DeoNaught . .

Portables:
    sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
    New nand board slogan coming in; "So easy, even Bocud can do it!"

These boards are hot

Postman, Ekterm, Aurelio and 3 others like this.
  5. Nold ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Staff Member . . .

Portables:
    btw.. nice solder...
    DSCF8536.JPG

6. BocuD . .

Portables:
    Ayy that's pretty much exactly the same stuff :D
    Yes very much
    very-hard-dk-5827059a1b497.png.jpeg
    Anyways, I have some actual progress. Pretty much everything (except like 2 things) on the PCB is completed so in the next week or so I'll be looking through everything some more, optimising the last bits and then hit that JLC order button. I looked at a few options for CNC cutting the heatsink and I found a manufacturer in Italy thats about as cheap as all the Chinese options so I'll probably go with that. Case design is nearly done but not final.
    upload_2019-6-13_9-19-56.png
    I didn't bother 3d modelling all the buttons again, but I did test prints for the parts where the buttons go in.
    This is pretty much the final board:
    upload_2019-6-13_9-32-24.png
    Currently there's 2 things still somewhat missing; The OSD buttons for the LCD driver, and part of the USB Data switching. Both will be controlled by the LCD driver and a pic instead of "automatically switching" in the end though, so not that interesting. There will be a button combination (probably volume up plus power instead of just power for example) to enter USB acces mode. That way I can just use the other regs instead of adding in another 3.3v and 5v reg just for the data switching.
    Completing this build in time is going to be extremely challenging considering the amount of finals I'll have in the next two weeks as I don't have a lot of time after that, but we'll see I guess :P

Miceeno, GingerOfOz, Noah and 6 others like this.
  7. Ekterm .

Portables:
    Wii Laptop
    That is sweet, I love how putting everything on one custom pcb makes it so much cleaner! :awesome:

8. DeoNaught . .

Portables:
    sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
    I took a hack saw to my wii's heat sinks and that's what I'm using as a custom heatsink haha ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    if you are in a pinch for time you could always just use the micro sd card adapter... and then it falls into the theme of Nintendo Switch conveniently

9. BocuD . .

Portables:
    I thought about that but a wii heatsink would be way too big. I thought about cutting up a gamecube heatsink as well but figured doing this is more elegant
    I am using that actually :P
    Just using this as well, for convenience lol