Question Random Resets

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I've made two Wii micros now and I've continuously had problems with the first one randomly resetting. It tends to happen during "loading", for example booting a game, changing menus in a game, ect. Sometimes the system runs fine for hours, other times it crashes frequently. Sometimes when it crashes it will reset and crash a few times in a row (check the video below). It seems like a power/USB issue, but the second Wii micro (exact same parts/internals) works perfectly using the same USB drive/power supply. Also the USB port isn't even cut off the board so it can't be a wiring issue.

- I'm powering it via a USB A to C cable with a 2.4A power supply. Result also occurs using my 5v 3A USB C laptop charger.
- I'm using tlv62130 regulators on a custom board, no 5V regulator because 5v input.
- The USB C connector is a simple breakout which simply consists of the necessary 5.1k pulldowns and a 100uF capacitor on the output.
- I've tried using different usb ports, different drives (same issue even with my samsung drive I use for my other portable), and different power supplies.
- The second Wii micro doesn't have any issues at all.

Here is a video showcasing the issue and a pic of the internals. This particular crash happened after booting Melee and pressing start at the startup screen. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm fresh out of ideas.

20190303_104237.jpg