PS2 Portable Noob Help-

Hi, Thank you for any help,
I have decided to make a ps2 portable. Here is what I want to make,

• clamshell design
  • 5 inch screen (HDMI)
  • trimmed 7901 motherboard
  • built-in controller
  • run games on USB (OPL) and FMCB
OKAY- Here is what I have got done so far, and where I am stuck =/.
I have acquired a 7901 ps2, and the last couple of days I restored it and softmodded it.
I have been able to also get OPL working. Here is my full part list I have got so far-

1. New 5" HDMI Touch LCD Screen Display 800x480 For Raspberry Pi 3 Pi2 Model B+ A+
  2. 10pcs 5cm x 7cm PCB Prototyping Perf Boards Breadboard DIY US
  1. Li-po Battery Indicator Display Board Power Storage Monitor For Rc Battery Pa <Z

• 100x Blue LED 3mm Wide Angle Diffused 3V Light Emitting Diodes Bright Lamp PCB

• 2pcs 3.5mm Female 5 Pins Stereo Headphone PCB Mount Audio Jack plug - 2 pack
I also have a Dremel, solderer, and lots of wire.

I am using this as my guide for trimming the board.

http://forums.modretro.com/index.ph...getting-a-7900x-board-ready-to-wire-up.12562/

as my guide for trimming the board. The issue I am running into is that I dont know how to rewire up the -
video cable, Controller, USB, Batteries, and MEMCARD. To elaborate on the screen, I am using this -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263454113600

I have a HDMI to VGA box which I will run it through, I am still not sure how I am going to wire that, but I have not really started on that yet.

My first and main question, for now (I am a noob at this type of stuff, I watched one of Gman's videos and I was hooked), is how do I relocate the Items I am cutting off when I trim the motherboard, I have little experience with working on motherboards.

Thanks-

Here in bitbuilt we have our own guide to trim the ps2 motherboard,before you do anything else you should go and check it out.
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-definitive-ps2-trimming-guide.1841/
Thanks, I have one question, When it comes to the voltage relocation, what do the colored areas mean? Like when it says PINK = 2.5, and A area is colored pink.
Thanks

EDIT: also, with the cutting, just cut along the red line right? would you recommend the beginner or advanced trim?

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
It means that those areas are 2.5v, and you will have to apply 2.5v to one of those areas for the board to work correctly. You will have to do this for every needed voltage relocation.

You should cut slightly outside the red line and then sand down the board till the red line. This will help ensure no shorts between the layers.

It means that those areas are 2.5v, and you will have to apply 2.5v to one of those areas for the board to work correctly. You will have to do this for every needed voltage relocation.

You should cut slightly outside the red line and then sand down the board till the red line. This will help ensure no shorts between the layers.
Thanks, can I find the spots for voltage on the board, or do I need to get regulators?In addition, do I just need to wire one area of that section? (Sorry I am very new to wiring)

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
I think that if you are having this difficult of a time understanding the guide, you should check out the beginner electronics section/videos. They will help you with basic concepts of electricity, soldering, etc. This will supplement your knowledge and help you more than trying to answer every single question you have. Not to mention that most of these questions are answered in the guide section. Before continuing on, I HIGHLY recommend that you read EVERYTHING you can, read through every thing on this forum and really take notes on what you learn.

Doing this will definitely answer the questions you have currently.

I think that if you are having this difficult of a time understanding the guide, you should check out the beginner electronics section/videos. They will help you with basic concepts of electricity, soldering, etc. This will supplement your knowledge and help you more than trying to answer every single question you have. Not to mention that most of these questions are answered in the guide section. Before continuing on, I HIGHLY recommend that you read EVERYTHING you can, read through every thing on this forum and really take notes on what you learn.

Doing this will definitely answer the questions you have currently.
Thanks, Does anyone one else have any literature that I could read in preparation for this build? Thanks for all of the help so far, the regulator guide is a big help!

Last edited:

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Thanks, Does anyone one else have any literature that I could read in preparation for this build? Thanks for all of the help so far, the regulator guide is a big help!
Literally our entire website. :)

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Small suggestion about HDMI with the PS2: The PS2 HDMI adaptor does a good job of converting the video and might be smaller than the converter you've got (I used one in my project and it wires straight into the RGB and audio channels once the PS2 has been switched to Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr). The only caveat is that it outputs at 480p or 540i so the screen you're using will have to be compatible with that.

As Matthew said: read a lot and take it slow and steady!