Question Ps2 not turning on

I was done making the portable but some buttons weren't working great and the joysticks needed new mounting solutions.... I left the project last night, tested it out today and it's no longer working all of a sudden, checked all connections and even unsoldered everything on the board that I'd put on and still won't turn on, the voltage regulators that should be intaking 5v and spitting 8.5 volts out are no longer working at full capacity, they're only showing 2.5 on one end and 3.9 on the other. The reset switch kinda resets the voltage sometimes, I've tried the console with both the batteries and connector plugged to the wall outlet and neither of them will work, when the DAC is connected as soon as there's power going through it makes a weird shriek noise and sometimes will do intervalled pops. nothing looks out of place or wrong on the pcb, anyone maybe know what the heck is going on?

Sorry I wasn't sure what to take pictures of, I'm pretty new to all this but here are a few of the board, please let me know if there's something specific you guys need to see!

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Make sure you sand the edge of the board where you cut on the corner. The copper layers could be shorting.

Make sure you sand the edge of the board where you cut on the corner. The copper layers could be shorting.
How do I make sure that they’re shorting or not? I sanded them before and I just did so again but the issue persists, is there a way to make sure nothing is shorting other than putting a multimeter to the layers and testing? I also just tested all of the regulators on the entire board and every single one gives me exactly half of what they should be, an 8v gives 4, a 5v gives 2.5, etc

Just recut the board and sanded the hell out of it and still same issue, Any idea why it would be getting only half of the voltage all throughout? The dc plug leads get the full 8.5 volts by the way and I tested out of the fuse too and those two get the right amount

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I don't know. Troubleshooting is really difficult when you're not there in front of the board because it could be anything. If getting a new board and starting over is an option, I mean PS2s are very cheap now.

I don't know. Troubleshooting is really difficult when you're not there in front of the board because it could be anything. If getting a new board and starting over is an option, I mean PS2s are very cheap now.
Yeah I have a second one that I'll be working on instead, though it really sucks, this is my third ps2 that has had power issues after my work on it, I think I'll use the broken one as a second project where I do your advanced trim of the board, though I'm really scared to do it, I'll do it once I can afford the regulators though, sorry for the quick question though would those two be a good cheap alternative to the texas instruments regulators that the website suggests? They're kinda pricey and I'm on an increasingly tighter budget because of how many ps2's have broken down on me and how much all the equipment has cost me for this first project

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQGMOKI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=APHB2NWNKDSBL&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G4583S2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A21C4U5X700J66&psc=1

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Not sure about the second one, but I know the first one will most likely melt if you try to use it. The specs they list are, at best, misleading. We don't suggest other regulators because, in general, they don't work for our needs. If you can spare the money to replace those when they blow (and potentially another PS2!), you can see what I mean.

Not sure about the second one, but I know the first one will most likely melt if you try to use it. The specs they list are, at best, misleading. We don't suggest other regulators because, in general, they don't work for our needs. If you can spare the money to replace those when they blow (and potentially another PS2!), you can see what I mean.
Hahahahahaha got it no random shitty regulators in that case, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any links for the 1.75v linear regulator though anywhere, is there a specific one to use?