Question PS2 Keeping the Disk drive

Portables
So I'm halfway through building my first portable PS2. I need some advice on how to extend the ribbon cable on the disk drive, the one that goes to the laser. One of the guides I was using on modretro said there's a way using spare sockets to clamp two ribbon cables together but I haven't found a guide on how to do that yet. Has anybody on this forum got any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I've never done that, but if you fold one of them over, and put the pins together, the pins should still be in the same order. Then you could just pinch them together with something.

Personally I would either buy a longer ribbon cable if possible, or use a board that takes a ribbon cable and turns it into spread out soldering points.

I've never tried extending ribbon cables so please take my advice with a grain of salt. It's just how I would approach it.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Extending ribbon cables with individual wires is a nightmare. For sure you want to find a longer ribbon cable if at all possible

Portables
Well I've made a disk drive extension cable from some of my spares... I tried swapping the drive motor for one with a longer cable but couldn't get it to work. This extension cable works but some of the wires are coming off the cable anybody know whats a good adhesive for re-attaching them? I've tried a couple but they just come off again.