Question Nintendont stopped working

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
This isn't for a portable, but for just my home Wii. I used to use dios mios, but switched over to nintendont. Pretty sure I repaired everything properly with the uninstall. It was working fine for over a month but recently I tried to replace my 20xx 4.05 with 4.06 and ever since then nintendont hangs on "initializing ios58". No idea what could have happened. Anyone know how to fix this?

Do you have IOS58 installed? If you were using DIOS MIOS you were probably using a very old setup.

Make sure you have the latest version of IOS58 and nintendont and try again.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Do you have IOS58 installed? If you were using DIOS MIOS you were probably using a very old setup.

Make sure you have the latest version of IOS58 and nintendont and try again.
From what I understood I thought as long as you have system menu 4.3 you shouldn't have to do anything with ios58, especially because it has been working for awihle now. I suppose I'll try to reinstall it.

From what I understood I thought as long as you have system menu 4.3 you shouldn't have to do anything with ios58, especially because it has been working for a while now. I suppose I'll try to reinstall it.
If you have 4.3 you should be fine then. Do you do anything else lately on the wii? Removing DIOS MIOS shouldn't have had an effect on nintendont.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
If you have 4.3 you should be fine then. Do you do anything else lately on the wii? Removing DIOS MIOS shouldn't have had an effect on nintendont.
Here's the timeline:
1. Removed Dios Mios
2. reinstalled the stock Nintendo MIOS.
3. Installed Nintendont
4. Used Nintendont for 1-3 months without any issues
5. Replaced an iso on my SD card
6. Nintendont stops working
7. Removed the game that I updated
8. Still not working

Try updating to the latest version of nintendon't. Also I would recommend reformatting your sd card to exfat.

If you would like I can compile the latest git revision and upload it for you. Just let me know.

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Try updating to the latest version of nintendon't. Also I would recommend reformatting your sd card to exfat.
Running the latest release version of nintendont (4.442). Formatted the card to exfat and the wii wouldn't recognize it. I don't think the wii can read exfat. Reformatted the card to fat32 and nothing still. Tried grabbing the ios58 installer (even though I shouldn't need it I wouldn't think..) but when I booted it my controls were unresponsive to it. No idea what's going on here.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
If you install IOS236, you can use MMM to install the wifi ioses from the PM pack (they're just stock). Also yeah, most homebrew only supports fat32, and a select few support ntfs, dunno what you're smoking talking about exfat lmao.
This could be a case of a corrupted sector on the SD card that windows and stuff can work around, but the wii is retarded about that kind of stuff... Try copying stuff onto another SD, or try a USB drive

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
If you install IOS236, you can use MMM to install the wifi ioses from the PM pack (they're just stock). Also yeah, most homebrew only supports fat32, and a select few support ntfs, dunno what you're smoking talking about exfat lmao.
This could be a case of a corrupted sector on the SD card that windows and stuff can work around, but the wii is retarded about that kind of stuff... Try copying stuff onto another SD, or try a USB drive
I don't really understand what you mean by the first part. Why do I want the wifi ioses? I tried doing a format of the card in case there was corruption. I could put my games on a flash drive but I can't even get to the bit of nintendont that asks to choose where to load games from.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I don't really understand what you mean by the first part. Why do I want the wifi ioses? I tried doing a format of the card in case there was corruption. I could put my games on a flash drive but I can't even get to the bit of nintendont that asks to choose where to load games from.
The wifi ioses included in the pack are the stock ioses that are supposed to be on the wii, unless you wanted nowifi, but I dunno why you would in a normal wii...

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
The wifi ioses included in the pack are the stock ioses that are supposed to be on the wii, unless you wanted nowifi, but I dunno why you would in a normal wii...
Would that do anything to fix nintendont? I just want nintendont to work again for my home wii.

It's pretty good stuff actually, if you'd like I'll share ;)

Heh, I forgot that most homebrew including hbc cant read exfat drives. However Nintendont can as I have my usb drive formatted to it for games. Also: read the bottom of the github page

Try running the nintendont dol off the sd card and put your games on the usb drive.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
So I tried removing my SD card and loading off of a USB drive but it still hangs at loading IOS58. I feel like it doesn't have to do the storage system (even though modifying my SD card is when this problem started). I feel this way because it hangs before you select which filesystem to load from. I tried the IOS58 installer app but it freezes before I can choose to install it. On the installer it says I'm already running IOS58 though. I just don't understand how this could have happened as everything was working perfectly before I added the new game on my SD card..

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
cheese's suggestion will rule out it being an actual IOS issue, and there's no harm in trying it.

It's probably an SD card issue, if that's really all that happened. SD cards on the Wii are weird.

additional edit: this is how I found out 4.06 was out nice meme

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
cheese's suggestion will rule out it being an actual IOS issue, and there's no harm in trying it.

It's probably an SD card issue, if that's really all that happened. SD cards on the Wii are weird.

additional edit: this is how I found out 4.06 was out nice meme
I suppose I'll have to try cheese's suggestion. I tried putting nintendont on a flash drive and removing the SD card and it still hangs on loading ios58