Worklog Nintendo MiWii "First Portable"

Hi Bitbuilt !

At first, I sorry for my English (I'm French :D ) and I also wanted to congratulate the community and the staff of Bitbuilt for their projects and their help.

After spending several weeks on the forum, I also start my first portable Wii and do my own Worklog. There are many things I do not know yet how to do and I will probably need you.

Name of Projects: MiWii

I would like a portable wii to play mainly Gamecube games, but also to Wii games if possible.

Features :
- OMGWTF Trim
- PortabilizeMii NOWIFI
- USB Port
- Gamecube button and 3ds sliders
- 7,4V 6800A batteries
- 5’’ screen

No bluetooth Edit 02/03/18: With Bluetooth
No Wifi
No SD carts slot
No MX-Chip

List bought: (Received : ✓) Last edit 16/04
- Wii 01-6 layers received from a but black screen at startup: /, I just bought one ✓
- 4 x PTH08080WAH ✓
- RESISTANCE 86K6 250MW 0.1% for 1V ✓
- RESISTANCE 33K 0.5W 1% for 1.15V ✓
- RESISTANCE 1.8K for 3.3V ✓
- RESISTANCE 348 for 5V ✓
- CHEMICAL CAPACITORS 100μF 100MF 100uF 16V RADIAL 105 ° ✓
- RED and GREEN LED for charging ✓
- Push button switch 6x6x7 mm ✓
- Gamecube controller button ✓
- Soldering copper coil 0.1mm ✓
- Toggle switch on / off ✓
- Heat sink 10 mm, 14 mm, 14 mm ✓
- 55mm Aluminum Gold Heatsink Cooling Fan ✓
- Intelligent Balance Charging Protection Board 2S Packs 18650 lithium Satellite ✓
- 4x PANASONIC NCR18650B 3400mAh 3.7V Li-ion Rechargeable Battery ✓
- Rubber tact switches
- 5’’screen ✓ https://www.buydisplay.com/default/5-lcd-module-hdmi-vga-video-driver-board-and-800x480-tft-display
- 3ds sliders ✓
- Ampli audio Mini 2*3W PAM8803 ✓
- IR LED ✓
- Speakers ✓
- Samsung 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Fit => 32GB

Query:
- For the GC + Controller Board, it is no longer available and I do not know if there is an alternative (Ex: use a Gamecube controller official and how to make connections).
Plus, for Squishy Tacts, the shipping costs are huge to France… :(
- Is it useful to have Bluetooth and / or Wifi?
- Is it mandatory to have "dual tact" for Gamecube games and / or Wii games?

And for the case, I will wait to see what will give the set, then design and print. :awesome:

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
For the GC + Controller Board, it is no longer available and I do not know if there is an alternative (Ex: use a Gamecube controller official and how to make connections).
Plus, for Squishy Tacts, the shipping costs are huge to France… :(
- Is it useful to have Bluetooth and / or Wifi?
- Is it mandatory to have "dual tact" for Gamecube games and / or Wii games?
Welcome to the community!

With the GC+ you would need to use the dual tact setup if you want analog capabilities like Fludd in Super Mario Sunshine. You'd also want both tacts because some games function weird when they only get a full, hard press. You could use a cut up GC controller rather than use GC+, but first I'd reach out to @Aurelio since he's the guy who helps Europe based people get their hands on them. As for squishy tact shipping being super expensive, you can use any sort of tact switch you want. Squishy tacts feel similar to real controllers, but you could look through a Europe based electronics provider's website, since they're going to have thousands of different tact switches.

Bluetooth is necessary for Wii games and using Wii remotes. If Wii games aren't important to you, then you don't need to build it in. WiFi is essentially useless at this time, so I'd recommend leaving it off because of the difficulty of the relocation.

And don't worry about your English. I had no issues understanding what you want, and this project sounds like it's gonna be super cool. Good luck!

Thank you very much @GingerOfOz :D

For GC +, if it's possible to get some, I'm interested! I have to contact @Aurelio if I understand correctly? Because I buy a GC controller :facepalm:

Then, thanks to your explanation, I finally understood something! :ding!:
To play GC games, I use the commands of my console with GC +. However, to play the Wii games, it's with a Wiimote or other, right?
So I need the bluetooth and the sensor (the bar). And for bluetooth, I need a 5V power supply.
My fourth PTH08080 will serve me :P

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Thank you very much @GingerOfOz :D

For GC +, if it's possible to get some, I'm interested! I have to contact @Aurelio if I understand correctly? Because I buy a GC controller :facepalm:

Then, thanks to your explanation, I finally understood something! :ding!:
To play GC games, I use the commands of my console with GC +. However, to play the Wii games, it's with a Wiimote or other, right?
So I need the bluetooth and the sensor (the bar). And for bluetooth, I need a 5V power supply.
My fourth PTH08080 will serve me :P
Any game that can work with a GameCube controller (some Wii games can) will work with the GC+. But Wii games will currently only work if you have the Bluetooth module connected. The Bluetooth module runs off 3.3v, not 5. The sensor bar is just a row of IR LEDs. Just get your own IR LEDs and put them in your case. You only need two. You will still need a 5v regulator for USB, maybe your screen depending on how you power it, and some fans

Any game that can work with a GameCube controller (some Wii games can) will work with the GC+. But Wii games will currently only work if you have the Bluetooth module connected. The Bluetooth module runs off 3.3v, not 5. The sensor bar is just a row of IR LEDs. Just get your own IR LEDs and put them in your case. You only need two. You will still need a 5v regulator for USB, maybe your screen depending on how you power it, and some fans
Okay, so with games that do not work with GC +, I must/can use a Wii controller (Wiimote)?
For the 5V bluetooth, yes, I was wrong. :facepalm: Thanks!
And for the rubber tact switches, I could find not too expensive :)

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Okay, so with games that do not work with GC +, I must/can use a Wii controller (Wiimote)?
For the 5V bluetooth, yes, I was wrong. :facepalm: Thanks!
And for the rubber tact switches, I could find not too expensive :)
If the Wii game does not work with a regular GameCube controller, it won't work with GC+ and you must use a Wii controller.

If you join the discord, there are a lot of Europe based people that could help you find cheaper parts.

And for the parts you are not using like bluetooth, wifi, sd card, and mx chip, @GingerOfOz and @jefflongo summed up bluetooth and wifi. But with sd card, it is only needed for same things because game loading is done via usb. So, it is not needed. And the mx chip is only used for n64 virtual console and games that use real time clock.

I am really excited to see your progress!

Noah

retired
Portables
If you join the discord, there are a lot of Europe based people that could help you find cheaper parts.

And for the parts you are not using like bluetooth, wifi, sd card, and mx chip, @GingerOfOz and @jefflongo summed up bluetooth and wifi. But with sd card, it is only needed for same things because game loading is done via usb. So, it is not needed. And the mx chip is only used for n64 virtual console and games that use real time clock.

I am really excited to see your progress!
I'm not sure where he asked about either SD cards or the MX chip?

Also, you should not use an SD card at all, it is not used for "some things." Within PortablizeMii, it is not used at all.

The MX chip is needed for some VC games but it is needed for all games that require RTC, N64 for otherwise. Games like Animal Crossing won't work correctly without it.

@MasterNate please stop giving "advice" unless you're 100% sure it's correct.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
@Kagehoshi sadly I don’t have any GC+ on me. I can order the parts from Mouser and assemble you one (or as many as you want) since I have to make an order anyway in the next few days. Let me know.

PS: avoid using languages other than English in the public forum so that anyone can read :)

Hi @Aurelio, thank you I'm interested, I would use it for my project. For the first time, I will order one, unless you advise me to take at least 2? if I miss

And I understand, there is no problem to speak in English ;)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hi @Aurelio, thank you I'm interested, I would use it for my project. For the first time, I will order one, unless you advise me to take at least 2? if I miss

And I understand, there is no problem to speak in English ;)
Bear in mind that I don't usually sell GC+ in Europe anymore (at least for now), so I don't know if in the future I will be able to assemble more.

Edit : however, I may not be the only one in Europe who wants it, @TheFrenchGuy
Yeah, but i think i will take my time about making a portable wii, for the moments i only install portabilizemii and i only see some posts about trimming, U10 relocation, ect....
Also i don't really know what's this GC+, is it some kind of gamecube controller chip???

Thanks.
(and sorry for my english:\)

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Yeah, but i think i will take my time about making a portable wii, for the moments i only install portabilizemii and i only see some posts about trimming, U10 relocation, ect....
Also i don't really know what's this GC+, is it some kind of gamecube controller chip???

Thanks.
You are right to Wait on your Portable wii, take your time, it's something you definitely don't want to rush on, I started my portable project Way many years ago, and starting progress on it again, for I know way more, and more resources are available to me. So I say wait, but it's up to you.

The GC+ is a Game cube controller emulator. it uses a micro controller to emulate the Game cube controller
Here is a demonstration video showing it in use.

(your english is pretty good :) so no worries there)

Thanks.
I have not even received my Wii yet. :XD:
otherwise, yes the GC + replaces the GameCube controller.

Edit : @DeoNaught the problem is the availability of GC + and the store is in maintenance :\

Last edited:
The GC+ is a Game cube controller emulator.
Thank you, i will do more search about it tonight or tomorow.
This is really cool to help us making wii portable, thank you a lot.

I have not even received my Wii yet. :XD:
I bought mine for 25€ in a carboot sale (i'm not sure but there is some wii motherboards that can't be trim).