huge, but probably dumb, charging idea~

So imagine you have yourself a portable Wii with a built in GC controller. BUT, you retain the stock cable for the controller, and it plugs into the console. (This would basically be if you used a GC keyboard controller shell for the whole system). In this manner, you could plug your portable into another wii and use it as a GC controller. Let's say though, that you want to leave your controller plugged in to a wii, flip a switch on your controller, and the 5V line from the other wii is now charging your portable's cells via a charge circuit taken from the controller.
Is this even plausible?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I was pretty curious as to how long it would actually take, so I did some calculations. Based on the 0.55mm thickness of the power traces, you can pull just shy of 1A * 5v = 5W from the GC ports. The 18650s in gman's BOM are 3.7v * 3400mAh = 12.5Wh. People usually use 2 cells, so 25Wh/5W = 5h charge time. I wouldn't recommend pulling that much power from the GC ports, and your charger won't be 100% efficient, so let's just round to 6h. Not the worst, but an average cell phone charger can do 2.25A * 5v = 11.25W, cutting your charge time in half. You'd probably also want to have a switch to prevent the portable from trying to charge itself (if you were to have charging over the GC ports, which I wouldn't recommend) :P

I was thinking primarily of passive charging through the GC ports while I use it in tournament play~ It wasn't meant to be an efficient means of charging, but something that I *could* do if I wanted to exclude an actual port for charging on the console. If I did that, I'd make the battery pack easily accessible to be removed from the system and charged separately.

You could always go with something like this and have the whole portable powered from USB (assuming your screen can work on 5V).
I ended up getting one. I'm gonna upload picks of sizing. From the looks of it, I might need to relocate these outputs, LED charge indicator, and the charger inputs.

Attachments