Worklog Help Mii (Come up with a better name)

I've been planning this for a long time, but am finally starting to get some work done on it.
I'm planning on having this in my portable:
  • 5" Screen (16:9)
  • Buttons, triggers, and sticks from a third party GC controller
  • Custom 3D printed case
  • 1 Port Charge&Play
  • 4 18650B's from the BOM
  • GC+ (If they ever come back in stock :v )
  • Bluetooth & MX
  • Gamecube controller breakout box
Sometime after I'm done, I'm planning on adding GCVideo to the portable, as well as adding an HDMI out.
Pictures of the case design I have so far maybe sometime this week? But I probably won't actually get started on it until around Christmas.

sadPREG

Sounds neat! How are you going to approach the single port charge and play?

Good luck! Excited to see there this goes :D
I'm planning on using the red CMB that was linked to in this thread as it looked like it had pretty good reviews in the comments.
And thanks! I'm really excited to see how it turns out, I'm just a little anxious because this is my first portable lol.

Okay, here's some previews of the case I have going so far.
I'm basing my case off of a Wii U gamepad because I really enjoy the feeling and size of mine.
I still have to model the cutout for my dpad, as the controller I'm salvaging parts from has a weird one, so I haven't decided whether I'm going to use the one I have now or another one.
I have the triggers and z-buttons alraedy done, but this is an older picture.
Finally, the little bump on the back is to help make space for my batteries so it wouldn't interfere with my C-stick, as I didn't want to make the whole gamepad any longer.

Attachments

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
A few notes about your case:

You probably will need to print that bump on the back separate and join it in to the rest manually. I don't think your bottom half will print as is.

It is good that you're thinking about how the sticks will interfere with the batteries. To get around this, I recommend either laying out your batteries like JacksonS does, putting bumps on the back (you could alternatively make the bumps grips for your hands), or putting your batteries in groups of 2 staggered so that they're above the c stick and below the analog stick. My original plan for my portable was to use GC sticks and they definitely add a lot of thickness especially if they were to be on top of batteries.

Finally, be aware that if you're using the octagonal gates, to make them larger than on the GC controller because they aren't curved upward, following the shape of the stick cap like a regular controller does.

You're off to a great start!

A few notes about your case:
You probably will need to print that bump on the back separate and join it in to the rest manually. I don't think your bottom half will print as is.
It is good that you're thinking about how the sticks will interfere with the batteries. To get around this, I recommend either laying out your batteries like JacksonS does, putting bumps on the back (you could alternatively make the bumps grips for your hands), or putting your batteries in groups of 2 staggered so that they're above the c stick and below the analog stick. My original plan for my portable was to use GC sticks and they definitely add a lot of thickness especially if they were to be on top of batteries.
Finally, be aware that if you're using the octagonal gates, to make them larger than on the GC controller because they aren't curved upward, following the shape of the stick cap like a regular controller does.
You're off to a great start!
Thanks for the input, I'll try to take it into consideration!
I am aware of the gamepad being in one piece, I currently have it that way so that any adjustments I need to make will be a little quicker, but once I have the design finalized I will split it in half and print them seperately :)
Edit: Reread what you said, and you're probably right. I'll see if I can move the batteries to more convenient locations, and if not I'll print the pocket for them seperately. Thanks for the advice again.