Worklog First Project! - NESis

This is my first project and is inspired by an older project by Funky! I am working on Frankencasing a Sega Genesis Model 2 board into an NES shell. Tonight I started desoldering the cartridge port (desoldered for the first time, sooo I’m thinking I may have goofed a liiiittle but hopefully it will be fine). It’s not all the way out yet, I’m guessing because I still need to wick more solder out. Anyway, I’m done for the night, but here are some first step before and after pictures to start!

Attachments

Well I’m thinking I may have just utterly effed this up. Still pretty sure there is solder (after using a magnifier to look and the cartridge slot not coming up even though I’ve cut the rivets) that I am just not getting out even after resoldering and some these holes are looking in rough shape I feel like. Did I just completely ruin this? Or is it still salvageable? If so, any recommendations? Or am I just missing something in removing this? I’m out of wick for the moment so can’t continue for a bit anyway.

Attachments

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
The pads are only partly damaged so it will be fine. You could always solder to the traces or other pads. The cartridge connector looks a little beat up though and probably best to replace it.

The pads are only partly damaged so it will be fine. You could always solder to the traces or other pads. The cartridge connector looks a little beat up though and probably best to replace it.
Thanks, that’s good to know! Any tips on getting the connector out fully? Presumably anything that might damage the connector is fine since it sounds like it would be better for me to replace it anyway.