Worklog First Portable name tbc

Hi,

This post is just to document where I am up to and hopefully motivate to complete this project.

Just got an OMGWTF trim working this weekend WOOOOP:)

Photos

1678141286930.png

1678141387318.png

1678141356719.png

Cut with a multitool sanded with 120 grit sandpaper, then a high grit chisel sharpening block, edges of the Wii came out really smooth
Found 1.8v and 3.3v were directly shorted to ground so removed smd caps near the edges
But it was still shorting so I removed the LDO pins (This went horribly but I have some solder mask if I want to hide it)
This stopped the 1.8v short I think
Realised I sanded the edge of a cap near the PCB edge next to the nand chip after I removed this no shorts :) resistances attached for fun (I think the 1v to GND is wrong it was in the hundreds when I measured again when measuring with a multimeter all resistances seemed to change while measuring quickly at first then settled like the voltage while charging a capacitor)

Also while checking my wiring found I wired the U10 to wrong via

1678139987243.png

Using the original PMS as I bought all the PCBs a couple years ago

Theme
Super Mario Galaxy maybe

Design
Something simple (relative terms) like louii or maybe vertical design so basically a G-Boy
I like the ABXY as circular buttons rather than GC layout

Features
What comes with
RVL PMS
U-AMP
GC+2.0
Kingston adapter ( with a 128GB EVO Plus 3

Bluetooth if I can do the soldering
USBC PD (have some initial PCB plans that I made a while ago) although 4 layer tech's one is pretty cheap

Possible
MX chip
WIFI

USB-C PD
1678142121072.png

The PD bit is handled by an IP2721 or maybe a CH224K seems to be cheaper and more available to do the same thing (also doesn't require a transistor I think but I need to research)
Data multiplexing this is simple just connect USB to Wii when it sees 3.3v from PMS, but when it receives no voltage (off) the default connects USBC to the USB
Although as I designed this a year ago the specific chip has probably gone from digikey

The issue is powering the USB either have a 5v reg and a multiplexer (on this PCB I am designing) to switch power to the USB from the PMS or the reg.
or
Change the PMS code to have the PMS 5V regulator on when it is charging (this is the solution I want to do to minimise components needed but A code change will require a lot of research although do remember somebody's worklog doing this and B having the 5V reg on while charging my waste power but if I only use 5V for the USB it wouldn't be much.

Also designing differential traces seems to be quite specific although according the internet at USB full speed the traces don't need to be exactly the same length and vias are not too bad for data transfer rate

Future Plans
Attach a GC controller to test a game
1678142178691.png

Full cad design of case with PCBs
Test VGA
Test Audio (have some nice speakers out of laptop)

Update from August last year
Got it assembled but dislodged the usb wire so it didn't boot after assembly and also of the controls were still not wired

Good bit of 2am CAD
1713298401606.png

1713297528837.png

This design was a nightmare to assemble mostly due to the fact the hinge had to go through the top of the bottom shell (the middle piece in the picture above) and then be mounted to the heatsink but the heatsink had to be screwed in from above so i had to rotate the top shell piece 90 degrees in both directions to be able to put it together and obviously this meant i pulled some wires of the pcb.

Today's Update (only a year since i started :))

Lots of cad has been done mostly sporadically i'm on v78 with 141 sketches so my fusion file is a horrifying mess but the design is coming along

1713297168507.png

1713297194459.png

Specific bits I want to mention because I think they're cool

Hinge will still be mounted to the heat sink but the heatsink will have tapped holes in it and be screwed in from underneath.

The buttons for the L and R triggers will be mounted to the top of the bottoms shell as this will make wiring simpler. so the top piece will extend into the bottom bottom shell. ( the grey piece in the above picture will be part of the top shell)

It's a Clamshell

Good bit of incredible luck
So I needed to trim the Wii more for the new heat sink mounts (see picture below). I consulted the compendium and went for it not realising the nand connections are not in there so ended up trimming so close that I can see the copper of that nand trace from the side. SOMEHOW this still boots though so all is good

Current Plan is to keep it as simple as possible to get to a working end product

I want as little glue as possible so will try to make mounts for everything.

Now it is back to the god awful mess that is my fusion file to keep going

Attachments

Portables
-∞
That’s similar to what I’m trying to make and you should name it the wiisi