Current Charge and Play Circuits?

NLG

What's the community's current consensus on building charge and play circuits?

I found this thread that builds the one from the "Portables and Batteries" guide, and it seems to work, but what has anyone done nowadays for one port charge and play other than using the RVL-PMS boards? I'm trying to build this for a PS3 portable so the RVL-PMS does me no good as it doesn't support enough power.

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
There really isn't any currently widely used solution that is equipped to handle the PS3's power demands. PS3s are very power hungry, and every part of your power chain needs to be able to handle the load it draws and then some in order to ensure a safe design. I would highly suggest not rolling your own design either unless you are intimately familiar with power electronics. Benge (millomaker) has been working on a Xbox 360 portable though, maybe he can push you in the direction for something that could better suit you needs?

NLG

There really isn't any currently widely used solution that is equipped to handle the PS3's power demands. PS3s are very power hungry, and every part of your power chain needs to be able to handle the load it draws and then some in order to ensure a safe design. I would highly suggest not rolling your own design either unless you are intimately familiar with power electronics. Benge (millomaker) has been working on a Xbox 360 portable though, maybe he can push you in the direction for something that could better suit you needs?
Thanks for pointing me to that thread, it might be worth designing a PCB that is a higher power version of the charge and play PCB that gets used for the Wiis. I feel like the community severely is lacking true Xbox and PS3 battery powered portables... getting tired of seeing the same portable Wiis and ps2s over and over again lol