Worklog Chreshal's First Wii Portable Worklog

Thanks for the help will be waiting for the message so I can finally get the board trimmed and wired up.

Ok so spent a couple of hours and was able to make some good progress being that I trimmed the case and controller board.
IMG_20161012_195809.jpg IMG_20161012_195819.jpg IMG_20161012_195855.jpg IMG_20161012_195911.jpg
Now the problem is this:
IMG_20161012_195954.jpg IMG_20161012_200142.jpg
First and most obvious, the capacitor, while using the dremel, got hit a bit and part of it came off. Do I need the capacitor and also is the cut that i've done the best one seeing that the guide was one of ashens old ones that i found over on modretro. I have another controller that I can use if this one was done wrong and can't be fixed. On a side note once cheese gets back to me with instructions on how to fix the problems i'm having with portablizemii I should actually be working on the board. Also I quickly made a logo to cover up the wiiu logo on the front of the gamepad.
Wii_U pad.png

Last edited:
So i've been having a lot of trouble removing the u10 from the wi board. It looks desoldered but it won't come off and if i squeeze the thing any harder it will break. If anyone has done it before and has any tips then they would be completely welcome.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
So i've been having a lot of trouble removing the u10 from the wi board. It looks desoldered but it won't come off and if i squeeze the thing any harder it will break. If anyone has done it before and has any tips then they would be completely welcome.
There are many ways to remove U10. The easiest and quickest method in my opinion is to put a blob of solder on each side of the component, quickly go back and forth from each side with your soldering iron so both solder blobs are "wet", the ic can be slid off with a push from a screw driver or tweezer. I have a hot air station and this is still my preferred method as it only takes a few seconds.

Luke

Portables
I've said it before, it's the most hackish/noobish thing I'll admit to doing, but I cut the board around the chip as small as possible, and then sand from the bottom until the piece of board is gone and the chip is the only thing left.

Sounds stupid. Works like a charm.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
If you can find a butane lighter(blue flame) you can heat it from a distance like hot air, or burn the bottom of the board and lift it off of the top.

Well RIP. So heres the situation, the u10 broke when i originally tried to remove it and got really damaged so I had to switch over to the u9. Everything was going and I had it soldered to the board and was attaching the wire. Then I found the wire i cut was to short so I proceeded to desolder the wire to put a new one in place. But when I wsa taking off the wire the pin of the u9 was still stuck on the wire and came off with it. So until I can get hold of a new u10 or u9 I won't be able to continue (well at least I won't be able to see if its working). If anyone happens to have one and would be able to send it to me just send me a pm and we can go over the details. So until i get one don't expect many big updates. Hopefully I will be able to get back to the project soon.