Worklog Chreshal's First Wii Portable Worklog

Hello I'm posting this before I have all the Wii parts that I don't have since most of them were for a gamecube portable and I will probably post a full part list when I get the parts in but I was just wondering how mainly power regulators I need to buy and were can I get them the cheapest since on digi-key for 3 which is the number that I think I need to buy its 24 dollars. Ordering everything else tonight so by next week I should be able to start working.

Noah

retired
Portables
Thanks I will probably get 4 off digikey since they are about 33 dollars for 4 of them. Thanks for the help and are there any good diagrams for the regulator circuit being the battery and regulator connections that run to the board?

Update on the project: I've gotten the av cable to use for wiring video, the regulators and part of the case being a wii u gamepad shell with the other part being a case off of polycase im using on the back to give me more space. The wii is still shipping along with a couple other parts. Im going to be starting to build the custom regulators and I know that the gamecube custom regulator setup will work just with some tweaks for the other voltages since it has the ones for 5v, and 3.3v but it doesn't have the setups for the 1v and 1.15v regulators so i don't know what resistors amd capacitors i need to build them. I will give more updates when i finish on the regulators and the wii comes in.

Luke

Portables
Capacitors stay the same, the equation from the datasheet gives the following:

resist.png

Where Vout is the voltage you want out of your regulator, and Rset is the resistor.

Last edited:
Quick question since I've decided to buy a new screen, are there any real good 7in screens that I could get and that would come from the U.S.? Reason to get it from the U.S. being that I want it sooner just so I can wire up the screen without waiting to long to get it.

Edit: never mind looked around a bit and found one.

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Last edited:
I'm having a hard time finding the parts for the custom regulators online since the voltages are so specific. Anyone who has already done a wii portable have any good places to buy them?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The voltages can be a little off (shoot for a little higher voltage to be safe, usually around 0.03v-0.05v over should be fine), are you looking for the resistors or regulators themselves? I would suggest the PTH08080 and their table on page 7 of their datasheet (for the 1.15V they have a formula to find the exact resistor values, just get close with standard resistors).

I'm looking for the resistors and I already have the 4 regulators needed to run the Wii with usb.

Edit: If anyone has already built a wii portable that can give me the resistor outputs that you used on your portable that would be very helpful.

Last edited:

Luke

Portables
Capacitors stay the same, the equation from the datasheet gives the following:

View attachment 893

Where Vout is the voltage you want out of your regulator, and Rset is the resistor.
Refer to my earlier post. We're trying to help you figure it out without just giving you all the answers. I literally found the equation in the datasheet for you, screenshot it, and pasted it into my post. Your desired Vout is 1.15v, plug that into equation, and it will give you the resistor that you want.

We're happy to help, but you gotta at least help yourself a little bit. ;)

I did a little more searching and easily found the stuff. Don't know why I even asked for the resistors since I already had all the amounts and I just needed to search a bit more. Update on the Wii which is arriving on Wedsday.

Ok so bad news the wii that I got sent had gamecube ports and was the wrong type of board even though I requested it to be without the gamecube ports so now I need to have to find a new wii and since I've been waiting about 2 weeks to start the project I need to find one that will get to me pretty quick. If anyone has the correct wii board and would be willing to sell it that would be very helpful to me so that I won't have to possibly go through this again.

Just bought a black wii off ebay which will be arriving next week so in the meantime I will be assembling the regulators, controller wiring and the case.

Ok so a bit of a update on the portable, i've gotten a wii being a black one without gamecube ports and im in the process of installing portablizemii using a 32gb sd card and a 32gb usb and 64gb just so I can switch of the drives for testing. I can install bootmii as a ios fine but when the cheese installer is going at part of the install this screen pops up.
IMG_20161010_121758.jpg

I've tried doing this with both of the usbs and it still gives me the same result. And to my knowledge the wii was not running any sort of homebrew beforehand.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I've seen this pop up occasionally, still working on a fix, but for now Ill pm you some directions to fix it for now. (gimme a bit, I've got classes!)