Question Can I sell my G-Wii? Or would that be wrong?

Hi! I'm trying to build my first wii portable and i'm going to build a g-wii. When I'm finished I'm going to have sell it in order to make my money back and to fun my next project.

Obviously Gman came up with the design for the G-Wii and created it.
Would is be messed up to sell the G-Wii because of this? All I want to do is just start my next project but I can't just keep spending my own money. But it feels kinda weird trying to make money off something someone else built and would @Gman care?

Or am I just thinking too deep?

You might be thinking too deep, I believe others have sold their G-Wii before. But if you're really worried about it then you should just PM @Gman

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I don't think it's inherently wrong to sell a G-Wii, @Noah has sold one iirc. It's possible that he asked Gman though, so I would advise you to do the same. Personally, I would heavily advise against it if this is your first portable. The people that have done commissions here have made many portables before they decided to sell one and have a lot of experience. Selling a portable is a huge liability if it's not built extremely well. If anything stops working chances are the user won't know how or expect to fix it so the responsibility is all on the seller (especially since the user will expect the portable to work after heavy usage indefinitely). That would reflect poorly on our community (and Gman).

Last edited:
I don't think it's inherently wrong to sell a G-Wii, @Noah has sold one iirc. It's possible that he asked Gman though, so I would advise you to do the same. Personally, I would heavily advice against it if this is your first portable. The people that have done commissions here have made many portables before they decided to sell one and have a lot of experience. Selling a portable is a huge liability if it's not built extremely well. If anything stops working chances are the user won't know how or expect to fix it so the responsibility is all on the seller (especially since the user will expect the portable to work after heavy usage indefinitely. That would reflect poorly on our community (and Gman).
What if I test it by using it everyday for about 20-40 days just too keep testing it and to make sure it works properly so it would be ready to sell?

And I'll make sure to ask @Gman for permission when it comes to me selling it then, thanks!

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Start by building a portable, then you can worry more about whether or not it's quality enough to sell. It personally took me around 3 years of modding and several portables before I felt ready to do commissions, and that's how it is for the few of us who do sell them.

Noah

retired
Portables
Yes, I did get permission to sell it from @Gman. However, as Ginger stated, I would really advise not selling your first portable because it would be a horrible experience for both you and your buyer. Portables can be finicky with wiring, and if you don't have ample soldering experience odds are wires will become loose overtime and your buyer will have issues. Jeff and Ginger covered this pretty well though, so I'll leave it at that.

I've been in this community for 10+ years now and I'm just feeling comfortable enough (within the last year or so) to sell what I make. It takes a while to get good and making a portable and I understand it's an expensive hobby, but if you're coming in to make money then you're making a portable for all of the wrong reasons. People like @Gman and myself have been doing it for a long time and are fortunate enough to enjoy the hobby so much that commissions are a nice bonus. Either way, we'd still be here doing work because we love the hobby and community. I'm sure @Gman wouldn't mind if you sold it if you had experience, but we've had several people make essentially ratnest wiring portables because it's their first attempt and I don't want people getting burned. Hopefully this all makes sense!

I've been in this community for 10+ years now and I'm just feeling comfortable enough (within the last year or so) to sell what I make. It takes a while to get good and making a portable and I understand it's an expensive hobby, but if you're coming in to make money then you're making a portable for all of the wrong reasons. People like @Gman and myself have been doing it for a long time and are fortunate enough to enjoy the hobby so much that commissions are a nice bonus. Either way, we'd still be here doing work because we love the hobby and community. I'm sure @Gman wouldn't mind if you sold it if you had experience, but we've had several people make essentially ratnest wiring portables because it's their first attempt and I don't want people getting burned. Hopefully this all makes sense!
I understand thanks for the advice! Also I'm not doing it just to make money, I think this would be a very fun project and it'd be awesome to do what you guys do here, but the only reason I would think about selling it would be to be able to fund the next project that comes after.

Thanks again!