Worklog [2023 Contest Entry] DS Lite XL

I'd recommend looking through the excellent GBAtek by Problemkaputt website. There's a lot of info on this site, including the screen pinouts for DSi and DS lite screen connectors.
I'm curious, why didn't you just try to fit a ds lite in a dsi xl.
This guy did it, though without showing his work, but it shows it possible.

Kamp

I'm curious, why didn't you just try to fit a ds lite in a dsi xl.
This guy did it, though without showing his work, but it shows it possible.
I did consider this early on, and its definitely possible, but there were a couple reason that I decided against it:
- I wanted something 3D printed so that it could be made more cleanly than cutting up an existing shell. Because I had also reverse engineered the DS lite shell, if I switched to the DSi xl, I would have needed to reverse engineer at least the lower shell of the DSi xl as well.
- Building a macro simplifies the project quite a bit. Because I want mine to include the upper screen, I need to relocate the upper clamshell connector. The DSi and DS lite have the hinge ribbon passing through opposite sides of the hinge. So to use the DSi shell, I'd need to relocate the connector from the far left all the way to the far right where the DSi xl screen ribbon goes. I'd need a flex PCB that spans the entire area of the console, which I think would be more expensive. (Though this might let me just use the DSi xl upper screen, so maybe the cost balances out).
- Less of a technical reason, but I kinda just wanted to make a DS lite xl, like what had been prototyped (picture below), but never made, as opposed to a DSi xl that could accept GBA cartridges.
Maybe if I have some time to reverse engineer the DSi xl shell, I'll play around with adapting it for this project.
dsi-xl-was-once-ds-lite-xl-20091214104528485.jpg

Maybe if I have some time to reverse engineer the DSi xl shell, I'll play around with adapting it for this project.
View attachment 32322

Cool, would be awesome if someone did a ds lite in dsi xl shell and documented it.
Its more enticing and easier to follow as we don't need a 3d printer, just buy the aforementioned extension cables/button board and you're good.
Not many of us have 3d printers BUT have flush cutters handy lol.

PS: Actually dsi xl directional buttons are on a daughter board so you're good there, just solder using magnet wire will do.

1711469783567.png

1711469815903.png

Pinouts were retrieved from problemkaputt's site.

I tried my best to look out for the same names but unsure about the rest.
Could you share with us the correct pinout?

Kamp

View attachment 32330

View attachment 32331

Pinouts were retrieved from problemkaputt's site.

I tried my best to look out for the same names but unsure about the rest.
Could you share with us the correct pinout?
I actually didn't look very much into the DSi xl upper screen after I ruled out using it for my build.
As for the lower screen, I haven't tested my design yet, so I can't really give you a correct pinout!
I definitely recommend making a schematic instead of using a spreadsheet, it might make it easier for your to narrow down which pins are missing.

I actually didn't look very much into the DSi xl upper screen after I ruled out using it for my build.
As for the lower screen, I haven't tested my design yet, so I can't really give you a correct pinout!
I definitely recommend making a schematic instead of using a spreadsheet, it might make it easier for your to narrow down which pins are missing.
Wait, I see you have tested on DSI XL lower screen' to ds lite.
How did you install the DSI XL lower screen's backlight 4 pins with different flex cable?
1711531797572.png

Finally starting to see the fruits of my CAD work!
Before printing anything out, I did a quick check with the DSi XL touch screen plugged directly into the DS lite board, and it worked without any problems or calibration needed!

1711532267187.png

1) PIN 6 goes to pin 32 (VSHD)
2) Pin7 onwards get bumped up
3) backlight pins are on a separate flex.

I honestly do not know how you plug it directly. Could you help us shine a light, I'm so confused.

EDIT: MY BAD, you just tested the TOUCHSCREEN. LOL

But yea, the spreadsheet checks out, I'm just unsure about the different nomenclature highlighted in RED 2 post above. Maybe its the same? Looks that way though.

View attachment 32346

1) PIN 6 goes to pin 32 (VSHD)
2) Pin7 onwards get bumped up
3) backlight pins are on a separate flex.

I honestly do not know how you plug it directly. Could you help us shine a light, I'm so confused.

EDIT: MY BAD, you just tested the TOUCHSCREEN. LOL

But yea, the spreadsheet checks out, I'm just unsure about the different nomenclature highlighted in RED 2 post above. Maybe its the same? Looks that way though.
apdater.png

In HecmacGPD adapter, the pin order looks completely different...

Bayou

Friend, I tested it and still failed.