Worklog [2023 Contest Entry] DS Lite XL

I'd recommend looking through the excellent GBAtek by Problemkaputt website. There's a lot of info on this site, including the screen pinouts for DSi and DS lite screen connectors.
I'm curious, why didn't you just try to fit a ds lite in a dsi xl.
This guy did it, though without showing his work, but it shows it possible.

Kamp

I'm curious, why didn't you just try to fit a ds lite in a dsi xl.
This guy did it, though without showing his work, but it shows it possible.
I did consider this early on, and its definitely possible, but there were a couple reason that I decided against it:
- I wanted something 3D printed so that it could be made more cleanly than cutting up an existing shell. Because I had also reverse engineered the DS lite shell, if I switched to the DSi xl, I would have needed to reverse engineer at least the lower shell of the DSi xl as well.
- Building a macro simplifies the project quite a bit. Because I want mine to include the upper screen, I need to relocate the upper clamshell connector. The DSi and DS lite have the hinge ribbon passing through opposite sides of the hinge. So to use the DSi shell, I'd need to relocate the connector from the far left all the way to the far right where the DSi xl screen ribbon goes. I'd need a flex PCB that spans the entire area of the console, which I think would be more expensive. (Though this might let me just use the DSi xl upper screen, so maybe the cost balances out).
- Less of a technical reason, but I kinda just wanted to make a DS lite xl, like what had been prototyped (picture below), but never made, as opposed to a DSi xl that could accept GBA cartridges.
Maybe if I have some time to reverse engineer the DSi xl shell, I'll play around with adapting it for this project.
dsi-xl-was-once-ds-lite-xl-20091214104528485.jpg

Maybe if I have some time to reverse engineer the DSi xl shell, I'll play around with adapting it for this project.
View attachment 32322

Cool, would be awesome if someone did a ds lite in dsi xl shell and documented it.
Its more enticing and easier to follow as we don't need a 3d printer, just buy the aforementioned extension cables/button board and you're good.
Not many of us have 3d printers BUT have flush cutters handy lol.

PS: Actually dsi xl directional buttons are on a daughter board so you're good there, just solder using magnet wire will do.

1711469783567.png

1711469815903.png

Pinouts were retrieved from problemkaputt's site.

I tried my best to look out for the same names but unsure about the rest.
Could you share with us the correct pinout?

Kamp

View attachment 32330

View attachment 32331

Pinouts were retrieved from problemkaputt's site.

I tried my best to look out for the same names but unsure about the rest.
Could you share with us the correct pinout?
I actually didn't look very much into the DSi xl upper screen after I ruled out using it for my build.
As for the lower screen, I haven't tested my design yet, so I can't really give you a correct pinout!
I definitely recommend making a schematic instead of using a spreadsheet, it might make it easier for your to narrow down which pins are missing.

I actually didn't look very much into the DSi xl upper screen after I ruled out using it for my build.
As for the lower screen, I haven't tested my design yet, so I can't really give you a correct pinout!
I definitely recommend making a schematic instead of using a spreadsheet, it might make it easier for your to narrow down which pins are missing.
Wait, I see you have tested on DSI XL lower screen' to ds lite.
How did you install the DSI XL lower screen's backlight 4 pins with different flex cable?
1711531797572.png

Finally starting to see the fruits of my CAD work!
Before printing anything out, I did a quick check with the DSi XL touch screen plugged directly into the DS lite board, and it worked without any problems or calibration needed!

1711532267187.png

1) PIN 6 goes to pin 32 (VSHD)
2) Pin7 onwards get bumped up
3) backlight pins are on a separate flex.

I honestly do not know how you plug it directly. Could you help us shine a light, I'm so confused.

EDIT: MY BAD, you just tested the TOUCHSCREEN. LOL

But yea, the spreadsheet checks out, I'm just unsure about the different nomenclature highlighted in RED 2 post above. Maybe its the same? Looks that way though.

View attachment 32346

1) PIN 6 goes to pin 32 (VSHD)
2) Pin7 onwards get bumped up
3) backlight pins are on a separate flex.

I honestly do not know how you plug it directly. Could you help us shine a light, I'm so confused.

EDIT: MY BAD, you just tested the TOUCHSCREEN. LOL

But yea, the spreadsheet checks out, I'm just unsure about the different nomenclature highlighted in RED 2 post above. Maybe its the same? Looks that way though.
apdater.png

In HecmacGPD adapter, the pin order looks completely different...

Bayou

Friend, I tested it and still failed.

Some one pointed out this thread to me today. I will say this looks great and can't wait to see what the end result looks like. I noticed though you are using the full DS Phat style GBA slot depth which would preclude using DS Lite carts like the DS Lite version expansion card or the DS Lite's dummy slot cover (which there isn't a DS Phat equivalent to...at least not one made by Nintendo anyways). As well as many DS Lite style slot-2 flashcarts.

Perhaps reconsider the idea of having the GBA slot moved off the motherboard so you can better customize it. Perhaps do something fancy like putting it on a slider so you can switch to either configuration on the fly! If slot integrity is a concern the change could be setup to require using screws to enforce either slot position. Just a idea on that though. :D

It would be cool to have a DS XL where both DS lite style gba carts and DS Phat style carts can live in harmony. :D

Rebasing the shell design off the DSi XL would be a good idea too. It would make it easier to accomedate using the DSi XL top screen and would making sorting out the ribbion cable for it easier instead of being forced to cheat and use 2 bottom screens. :P

I wouldn't say you'd directly reuse a DSi XL shell. just rebase the 3D print stuff off it and go from there. It might help with that if you want to try and get the top screen stuff figured out. Plus if you do it well enough you can re-use an existing DSi XL top screen assembly and cut out half the material you have to print. (though on the other hand you'd have to steal the top screen shell off an existing DSi XL I guess)

It might be worth the material cost alone to try that. Just depends on how cheaply you can find used AS IS DSi XL units to use as top screen donars. (oh and using a ribbion cable when setting up the gba slot in this way would probably be best. Using wires is asking for trouble like wire fatigue causing them to pop off their solder points after enough movement.

Last edited:

Kamp

This is an old board version, this is the most current one, put the schematic and gerbers for anyone interested.

Thanks for sharing this! At a glance, this looks the same as the schematic I used, so hopefully that bodes well for me boards!
And thanks again for giving me some initial guidance and inspiration!

Kamp

Some one pointed out this thread to me today. I will say this looks great and can't wait to see what the end result looks like. I noticed though you are using the full DS Phat style GBA slot depth which would preclude using DS Lite carts like the DS Lite version expansion card or the DS Lite's dummy slot cover (which there isn't a DS Phat equivalent to...at least not one made by Nintendo anyways). As well as many DS Lite style slot-2 flashcarts.

Perhaps reconsider the idea of having the GBA slot moved off the motherboard so you can better customize it. Perhaps do something fancy like putting it on a slider so you can switch to either configuration on the fly! If slot integrity is a concern the change could be setup to require using screws to enforce either slot position. Just a idea on that though. :D

It would be cool to have a DS XL where both DS lite style gba carts and DS Phat style carts can live in harmony. :D

Rebasing the shell design off the DSi XL would be a good idea too. It would make it easier to accomedate using the DSi XL top screen and would making sorting out the ribbion cable for it easier instead of being forced to cheat and use 2 bottom screens. :P

I wouldn't say you'd directly reuse a DSi XL shell. just rebase the 3D print stuff off it and go from there. It might help with that if you want to try and get the top screen stuff figured out. Plus if you do it well enough you can re-use an existing DSi XL top screen assembly and cut out half the material you have to print. (though on the other hand you'd have to steal the top screen shell off an existing DSi XL I guess)

It might be worth the material cost alone to try that. Just depends on how cheaply you can find used AS IS DSi XL units to use as top screen donars. (oh and using a ribbion cable when setting up the gba slot in this way would probably be best. Using wires is asking for trouble like wire fatigue causing them to pop off their solder points after enough movement.
Thanks for the kind words!
I will say that the change to the cart slot was more of a stylistic decision and the design could pretty easily be updated to use either configuration with some slight changes to the lower shell and maybe cartridge slot PCB. I really like the look of the flush GBA cart!
When I was planning this out, I found that there were very few accessories that don't have a phat DS slot 2 compatible version.
For example, there are DS lite and phat DS versions of the rumble pak and the expansion pak, and the guitar hero grip has interchangeable parts to work with either.
The only thing I had in my collection that wouldn't work with the phat DS slot 2 was the Easy Piano.
Once I get this first version working, I'd definitely consider making a version for the DS lite style slot 2. A slide slot would be pretty cool, but I'd like to keep things simple for now, there's already a lot of complexity here! :XD:

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I may also try to make a DSi XL based version in the future. It'd be nice to use the upper screen from the DSi XL, but I didn't want to have people scavenge 2 different consoles just to make one. The lower screens are cheaper on Ali, so buying two isn't too bad (although there is still the cost of the extra PCB and flex).

here are my project)), I want to replace only the top screen and also make a new bottom cover so that it is level with the top

photo_2024-04-22_20-58-20.jpg

pinout I take from Hecmac board, but not tested it yet. I still waiting delivery of some parts to start testing
Cool! Your 3d skills are amazing to pull that off with the hinge.
For the bottom, I suggest don't 3d print the entire bottom case, the soft touch feel is what makes the ds like nice to play with.
Maybe you could protrude the top case to match thickness of bottom like this,
1713971909197.png

Or make a modified gba slot to match the extra height.

Cool! Your 3d skills are amazing to pull that off with the hinge.
For the bottom, I suggest don't 3d print the entire bottom case, the soft touch feel is what makes the ds like nice to play with.
Maybe you could protrude the top case to match thickness of bottom like this,
View attachment 33051

Or make a modified gba slot to match the extra height.
maybe, but I think it will not be very aesthetic
photo_2024-04-24_18-46-33.jpg
33333.png

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
here are my project)), I want to replace only the top screen and also make a new bottom cover so that it is level with the top

View attachment 33011
Please make your own thread if you'd like to share progress on this further, as this is very off-topic for someone else's worklog thread. Thanks!