Search results

1. R. G. Marigold

Worklog Desktop Arcade Wii Worklog

You know, I’ve never trimmed a 6 layer board, but for the 4 layer board I trimmed I would sand the edges at a small angle. This puts just a little bit more space between the edges for preventing shorts. Just make sure you don’t accidentally sand down one of those large capacitors like I almost did.
  2. R. G. Marigold

Question Need some help with transistors... flickering signal both on and off

So I'm trying to connect a rpi Pico to a bluetooth game controller (8bitdo Zero 2), so that I can use the controller as an 'idle player' so to speak. I was planning on doing this by soldering transistors onto the button contacts so I could control them by the GPIO pins on the Pico. However this...
  3. R. G. Marigold

Worklog The s-WII-ch (my first Wii portable)

Close enough. When you're chopping up a piece of hardware, nothing is going to be exact.
  4. R. G. Marigold

20k ohms is the value divided by 1000. So, 0.05 = ~50ohms. Set it to a lower multiplier to get a more specific value.
  5. R. G. Marigold

Higher resistance means less continuity. Here's a snapshot from the Wii compendium. 12v and 5v aren't used.
  6. R. G. Marigold

We need a little more detail to answer that. Between what two points are you measuring? Do you mean 0 ohms or infinite ohms? And to clarify, you need to measure resistance, not just continuity. The charts here are very helpful, but basically only the resistance from 3v3 to GND or any other...
  7. R. G. Marigold

This is a worklog thread, not a question forum. Lemoncake is asking questions because this is their thread.
  8. R. G. Marigold

Yup. A lot of projects like to use those. It’s basically like if you were using a membrane (like what wiimotes use) but wrapped up in one little package. They’re quieter than regular tacts, and are very easy to press. The only downside is they’re a fair bit bigger than other tact switches.
  9. R. G. Marigold

Blowing air through the heatsink is generally how it's done. This is the most popular blower fan on here.
  10. R. G. Marigold

Worklog The Galaxii (a Swiitch clone)

So, it's been a little while, but I've finally found the time (and motivation) to finally make progress on this project! I decided to start with a prototype LCD board, as I'm pretty sure it's unwise to dive in head first with the full circuit. It's a lot smaller than the original board. If...
  11. R. G. Marigold

Discussion Ideas, questions, etc, Post em here!

My strategy for soldering onto those boards is to tin the wire and the pads (essentially fill the holes with solder), then re-apply heat to the pad and thread the wire through the liquid solder, remove the heat and hold the wire there until it solidifies again. It's pretty easy to redo this, so...
  12. R. G. Marigold

Worklog The Galaxii (a Swiitch clone)

I figured it was about time for me to start a worklog on here! I want to make something similar to BocuD's Swiitch 2.5, but minus the custom firmware, since that's a little outside my skillset. Planned Features: 5" IPS display RVL PMS Lite U-Amp 2 with Wii HUD controls GC+ 2 RVL PD 2 3DS...
  13. R. G. Marigold

Solved Can the PMS-PD 2 be powered off of 5V instead of 3.3V?

The PD itself has the normal resistance to ground (9K Ohms I believe). But when I connect 3.3v it drops to around 5K ohms? The 5V line is completely unaffected, however. I think there's something funky with the PMS lite itself, as the LED doesn't work, except for the split second when I unplug...
  14. R. G. Marigold

The answer is no. Rest in peace RVL-PD. But round 2 with a voltage divider of 47 ohms for R1, and 100 ohms for R2 seems to work... for now.
  15. R. G. Marigold

You are right that USB devices run off of 5V, but the 3.3v pin isn't for the USB. Analyzing the traces on the board makes me believe it's for determining if the PMS it's paired with is on or off, so it can switch the USB data lines to feed into the Wii, or to the USB C port accordingly. That's...
  16. R. G. Marigold

A strange question, I know. I've been having a strange problem with the PMS-PD drastically lowering the 3.3v rail resistance to GND. (And there is no way on EARTH that this is user error, as I've tried everything from re-wiring the joints, to taking it out and cleaning it. But if you really...
  17. R. G. Marigold

Solved Wii shuts off after a second, only when screen is connected.

After an overnight charge, It now works as it should! I guess I should take it as a lesson, batteries are weird.
  18. R. G. Marigold

3.65V I guess it isn't that.
  19. R. G. Marigold

What the title says. I did the 3.3v mod on the driver you get from the 4layer store, and I hooked it up to the Wii. The Wii turns on just fine, it displays a crisp image (I've done the VGA mod) and then after a second it shuts off. But only when the LCD is connected. The behavior goes as...
  20. R. G. Marigold

Solved Whining noise when turning on PMS Lite

well, after a bit more investigation, it's not the pms. It was the fan (they were right next to each other in the case). It appears to be having trouble turning. I'm just glad it was that, and not something more serious. Sorry about that!