Worklog [2026 Contest Entry] The DiiViiDii - Luggable Wii in a portable DVD player

Random0ne

.
.
Joined
Sep 19, 2022
Messages
4
Likes
2
Location
United States
First project :3
Introducing the DiiViiDii, a terrible and hacked-together Wii-stuffed-into-something-else kind of project. Specifically a crummy old portable DVD player.
I started testing this idea last year but I never actually built anything. All I managed to do was tear things apart and forget how they go back together. I think I have all the screws? And I think this is allowed, as the rules were clarified and basic testing doesn't count as "previous work", as nothing was really worked on...

Here is my outstanding visual representation:
Mockup.webp



Required Goals:
Working luggable Wii in the shell of a portable DVD player
Battery and sensor bar built in
Wiimote mount or attachment point

Optional Goals:
Custom power management, USB-C charging
AV out via the stock RCA in jacks
Optical drive (probably not happening but it would be funny)
One (1) hour of battery life

The Wii is an RVL-CPU-40 with a dead drive that I got on ebay for $18, and the player is an RCA DRC97873i, which is a dual screen model that i got at Goodwill for $6 or so a long time ago. I'll be using the second screen as I've already killed the backlight on the main unit. :( At least they're fancy enough to have a kickstand!

Current plans are to use the stock VRMs and power system of both the Wii and the player, as they just take 12V, and I want this to be a quick and dirty "just get it done" project. If I have loads of time left over, I'll look into a custom power system. If not, I'm having a hard time choosing between 10-12 AA batteries, and a 12V lead acid game cam battery. Both are very stupid, and therefore funny.
The player is rated for 9-12V, I tested it down to 6V with a cheapo universal power adapter and it seems to work okay, but the switch between AV and iPod dock mode stopped working. At 5V it doesn't boot up properly. The Wii probably doesn't have that kind of tolerance, I'll have to test it when I get a proper bench PSU.

I'm hoping I don't need to trim any boards, maybe I even have room for the stock Wii heatsink. I'm only worried about where I'll put the batteries. If I go with the AAs, they should hopefully fit in the shell. If I use the lead acid battery it'll be external.

I've already trimmed all the useless plastic bits out of the shell, apart from a big pillar that seems to be there to put pressure on the cable on the back of the display. It's very much in the way but I'm not sure if I should remove it.

If something goes catastrophically wrong, I have a spare Wii Mini and another portable DVD player. Not that anything could possibly go wrong! Aside from already breaking something don't worry about that part
 
Last edited:
So...
Life got in the way. It's currently 11PM on the 30th of September, and this clearly won't be done properly within one hour, given I haven't really touched it at all in three months. With that being said, maybe I can throw together something stupid, even if it isn't as advertised.
My "do it in an hour" plan is to hot glue the Wii board in place and leave it sticking out of the side, as I don't have time to trim anything or maneuver it around the player's board. The AV cable will be left... somewhere, and it won't have a built in battery. It will only meet one of my three required goals, but one is better than zero.
Even if I'm not done tonight, I do plan to continue this project regardless. I truly do want to work on it, and ideally get something functional out of it. I have another DVD player I can use.
I'm not sure if timezones are factored into the deadline, maybe it's already closed. I don't know where the hot glue gun is, nor the player's power brick. I don't remember most of my notes about the player and I can't access my note file right now. We'll see how this goes anyway...
 
It boots. Good enough.

99d5e887-c67d-4284-8727-b18c55a93e45.webp
8d1ed315-d0bc-4039-b33e-bb334688ee55.webp


Obviously it isn't usable and I won't be marking it as complete. I couldn't find my hot glue gun so nothing is held in at all. Both boards wiggle around at will. The Wii has no heatsink because I couldn't find the right screws. You have to open it to turn it on (feature not a bug). I forgot the sensor bar. The most depressing part is that I didn't even softmod the poor thing.
Oh well. It's something. And something is better than nothing. This is my first project, of course it can't go well. I'm proud of it :3
 
Back
Top