Worklog: Wii U Gamepad Original Screen Custom LCD Driver Board

Portables
KiWii Portable (In progress)
Hey guys!

I recently was doing some research on the Wii U, and found the original screen model number from a couple sources online here: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/wii-u-gamepad-screen-true-model-number.5784/

I have decided to begin working on a custom LCD driver board for the original game pad screen. The first question you might ask is "Why do such a thing?"

When modding a Wii U gamepad to put things like a mini computer, or a trimmed Wii motherboard, most people will go with the Innolux AT065TN14, a 6.5 inch LCD. The main difference between the Innolux, and OG Gamepad screen is, the OG Gamepad screen is IPS and LVDS instead of TTL, whereas the Innolux display is not IPS, and is TTL.

I mainly like this project because it will give the authenticity of the original Gamepad feel and appearance.

I have configured a plan with the following features (so far):

The LCD controller will be a RTD2660 running Custom Firmware for the Gamepad screen which has a few things to configure, including it running a bizarre resolution (854x480, not 800x480)
It will be configured mainly for VGA to run at its native 480p resolution.
It will have outputs for Composite (mainly for debugging on consoles that have not been modded to run 480p, and run 480i)
The custom firmware will have the original OSD controls for now (may be changed later)

Hope you guys enjoy the development of this project, I'll be sure to keep you updated!

Hey there! Very interesting project you have here. I was trying to build a trimmed portable Wii inside a wiiu-gamepad for some time now. Most tasks like cooling or the battery seem managable, but i couldn't figure out how to use the original screen. Your solution would be perfect for this application. Do you plan on publishing the firmware when it's finished? Btw how is the progress? Did you manage to test it?

Portables
KiWii Portable (In progress)
Hey there! Very interesting project you have here. I was trying to build a trimmed portable Wii inside a wiiu-gamepad for some time now. Most tasks like cooling or the battery seem managable, but i couldn't figure out how to use the original screen. Your solution would be perfect for this application. Do you plan on publishing the firmware when it's finished? Btw how is the progress? Did you manage to test it?
I haven't gotten around to testing since I've been so busy. The files for the firmware, and the pcb sources will also be released when everything is confirmed to be working

ahrlad

That's very interesting! I only just saw the datasheet, I'd have thought they'd use a mipi dsi display for sure. Using a simple lvds makes it much more usable.

How d'you figure the backlight driver, are the standard driver boards able to output voltages that high, or have you made a custom design from scratch?

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
And here I am having given away two Wii U gamepads just recently when I could have stuffed another PS2 inside one! That one I made (and then sold) really was one of my favorite builds, it's just such a comfy case!

Bober

Honestly instead of getting the original screen I would just buy the one off of 4layertech and just 3d print an attachment to make it fit.

I am looking, the same as you, to reuse the gamepad screen, I found that the Nintendo Switch screen also measures the same and contains more resolution.

SpecificationNintendo SwitchWii U GamePad
Size6.2 inches or 7 inches (OLED model)6.2 inches
Resolution1280 x 720 pixels (original model) or 2160 x 1200 pixels (OLED model)854 x 480 pixels
TypeLCD or OLED (OLED model)LCD
Refresh rate60 Hz60 Hz
Aspect ratio16:916:9

Hypothetically, would it be possible to turn a gamepad into a Wii Portable... but ALSO keep it as a Wii U Gamepad? Like, have some sort of switch on the back to turn it on either mode? Or would that require a redesign of the Wii U Gamepad PCB?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hypothetically, would it be possible to turn a gamepad into a Wii Portable... but ALSO keep it as a Wii U Gamepad? Like, have some sort of switch on the back to turn it on either mode? Or would that require a redesign of the Wii U Gamepad PCB?
There isn't enough space, and the Wii U LCD can't be driven by standard video outputs yet