Solved Wii trimming

Portables
PS2p
Hi, I want to build Wii portable, would it work if I cut motherboard with sharp knife and sand edges? I can’t buy dremel and it would be needed for only one time, so it’s ok to use knife? I once did it, but it was ground plane and I didn’t sand edge it was smooth already.

It's a pretty brutal way to trim a Wii, but I admit that I've tried it once and it worked. You can try it of course but remember that you're doing it at your own risk. I suggest to sand the edges in any case, in order to avoid any kind of short, also try to check the trim with a multimeter

It's a pretty brutal way to trim a Wii, but I admit that I've tried it once and it worked. You can try it of course but remember that you're doing it at your own risk. I suggest to sand the edges in any case, in order to avoid any kind of short, also try to check the trim with a multimeter
What is a multimeter

It's an instrument used to read voltages, resistances and other stuff on circuit boards, and also to check the shorts
1675966556932.png

Portables
Hi, I want to build Wii portable, would it work if I cut motherboard with sharp knife and sand edges? I can’t buy dremel and it would be needed for only one time, so it’s ok to use knife? I once did it, but it was ground plane and I didn’t sand edge it was smooth already.
I did a trim using a big grinder like the picture below. Maybe doing it with a knife is too harder, but I can suggest you to find any workshop and ask them to use a grinder or maybe they can cut the board for you. OBVIOUSLY you have to cut too far of the red line to ensure that the usable part of the board doesn't get damaged and then, you have to sand a lot every edge.
1675967485504.png

Is not so easy, I don't recommend this method at all, but you have to work with the tools you can find

Portables
PS2p
So you done this once? What did you cut? Of course I will sand edges and check everything with multimeter.

Portables
PS2p
I did a trim using a big grinder like the picture below. Maybe doing it with a knife is too harder, but I can suggest you to find any workshop and ask them to use a grinder or maybe they can cut the board for you. OBVIOUSLY you have to cut too far of the red line to ensure that the usable part of the board doesn't get damaged and then, you have to sand a lot every edge.
View attachment 26107

Is not so easy, I don't recommend this method at all, but you have to work with the tools you can find
I don’t know if I can find any workshops at the Italy and what I have is stationery knife (same as on picture)
1BE2FDB8-2F7E-45EA-AE5B-E16CC3DE5861.jpeg
and with it I successfully removed part of PS2 Slim motherboard and cut AV Multi Out port and it worked fine, I just curios if it would work with Wii, and of course I will do everything like write in Wii build instructions.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If push comes to shove, I have seen people use a fine toothed band saw to perform trims. It's big cringe, but supposedly it works fine and many public workshops have one

Portables
PS2p
If push comes to shove, I have seen people use a fine toothed band saw to perform trims. It's big cringe, but supposedly it works fine and many public workshops have one
I can’t imagine trimming with saw, even fine toothed one, but it’s an idea, still I will stick with my stationery knife for now, then come up with something else.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
We will always recommend using a rotary tool for safety and reliability, but other things do work, albiet less safely and reliably

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
You can get a decent rotary tool for $20 on Amazon, I would highly consider the added cost of an easy, safe trimming experience (and a tool you can use in the future) over hacking away at the board with tools not meant for the job and a significantly higher risk of screwing something up.

Portables
PS2p
You can get a decent rotary tool for $20 on Amazon, I would highly consider the added cost of an easy, safe trimming experience (and a tool you can use in the future) over hacking away at the board with tools not meant for the job and a significantly higher risk of screwing something up.
I checked Amazon and eBay and there is many options, but I don’t have any place to work with rotary tool and it needed for 1-2 times only.

Portables
2 Working trimms, 0 Portables
I bought a dremmel like tool, with battery for 25€, and i cut the wii in the window. You just have to be careful.
In another trim, I cut it with a old handsaw I had at home, I sanded the edges and it worked fine.

So, if you can cut it inside the line and you didnt broke anithing, just sand the edges and it will work.

Portables
PS2p
Hello again, after talking with my mother, she said that I buy rotary tool, because she will need it later for her work. Thanks for helping me with chose

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Make sure to practice on some unimportant scrap PCBs to learn the proper grip and cutting pace before going for the Wii trim