Question Wii Portable Control Question

Hello all people on BitBuilt,
I am attempting to create a wii portable. The case I want to use is sort of like a wii u gamepad in the fact that the buttons are on either side of the screen. I want to take a wii classic controller, cut in half, and put the buttons and joysticks on each side of the scree. Is it possible to cut the classic controller motherboard in half and somehow connect the two halves? If somebody could help me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Hi :) I suggest you look through the Guides section. There is lots of useful information there, and pretty much everything you need should already be available. People don't use classic controllers, but rather GameCube controllers since they plug right into the system instead of a wii controller. PortablizeMii basically lets you use the gc controller the way you would a classic controller.

Yes it does. But I just am not a huge fan of portablizeMii. I like the Wii homebrew exactly as it is and do not want to trim the motherboard at all. I basically just want to take the wii motherboard, a screen, and a controller and hit the road.

I think in order to use a classic controller in your portable, it would have to be connected to a Wii remote and could make things more complicated than you want. If you want it to be more simple and don't plan on using portablizemii, I suggest using a gamecube controller and then have your Wii boot right into the homebrew channel using priiloader. :)

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Well if you're asking how to cut the controller circuit board in half and wire it back, I still suggest reading through the guides. It's the same exact principle as the gamecube controller :)

One reason I do not want to use the gamecube controller is because a lot of wii games do not support it. Way more wii games support the wii classic controller. I have already planned to use the classic controller. Unless you know some wii game loader methods that will let me configure controllers, I do not want to use the gamecube controller.

-merge-

Thank you MadMorda. I did not see the gamecube controller guide when looking through the forums.

-merge-

Madmorda, is there anyway you could direct me where to look or give me a link? I am new here and still do not know where to look for everything.

Moderator note: Please use the edit button to add new content to a post instead of posting multiple times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I was saying that I think PortablizeMii lets you use a gc controller anywhere you could use a classic controller. Plus like Spencer said, you will need to attach a wii controller to the classic controller. That will cause all sorts of issues. Like if it's internalized, there's the battery issue, plus you'd have to resync it every time you played a game that had motion controls. I'll find you a link in just a sec and then add it to this post.

You should also check out the Bitbuilt Rules. You're double and triple posting which sends both me and Spencer and anyone else trying to help you an email three times. :)

Oh sorry about the posting stuff. And thanks for the advice. This is my first project and any tips help. I will look into giving PortabalizeMii a try.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I'm actually not finding the gamecube controller thing on Bitbuilt lol.

But I forgot I made this terrible video :D

It's pretty straightforward but it depends on how you want to do it. If you want to just literally cut it so you can move it to the other side, but plan on using the shell, that should work fine. Of course you'll need the pinout for the classic controller. Just make sure you don't cut through the little black square in the middle of the board.

This is a different way if you weren't using the case, or if you want to change something on it. Scroll to Step 6. It's out of date, but kind of explains the technique.
http://modretro.com/xen/index.php?threads/kasars-gcp-guide.1654/