Question What should I do for my first project?

I've been reading this forum for a really long time, contemplating how to build my first portable wii as it's something I've wanted to do for a long while. I'm very new to electronics, and the G-Boy kit has just been released as something targeted towards beginners to the hobby - people like me. I would prefer to make a build with a bigger screen, etc, but it's something I'm gravitating towards, and I don't know whether to build a G-Boy first and then create my own portable afterwards, or to just dive straight in and build a portable from scratch first.

I had the idea that I could follow the instructional guide posted on here, only using my own shell and my own parts, but after reading it, it appears that certain parts have been made specifically for the kit, and so I don't know if I will learn what I need to for future builds with this kit. Does anyone know if this idea work?

Will making a G-Boy teach me everything I need to know for making another build, and would more experienced builders recommend it as a learning tool for future builds?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Sunny

Hey there! Parts that have been custom made for the Gboy include 2 pcbs for easy button installation and a different sized amp.
For the button pcbs in the Gboy, you would just wire your buttons to the GC+ 2.0 instead of you are making your own portable, and then use the U-AMP for digital audio, both of which are available on the Bitbuilt store.
I hope this helps!

Thank you! That's a great help actually. One more question though, I believe the G-Boy has built in tact switches onto the controller PCBs. Is there a decent tutorial or guide somewhere on how to wire up tact switches as that's the only part of the process I'm still a bit confused about.

Sunny

No worries!
The dual tact switches (for the triggers) are available from the Bitbuilt store. The wiring for them is shown on the 4th photo of the GC+ 2.0 store page.
As for the other switches for the dpad and ABXY, there are heaps of different options to choose from. I have seen people use low profile tact switches, and others using taller ones like these or these