Question What 3d printer is big enough to print the ashida

I was on and off about the ashida but now I confident that I going to build one and I need a big enough 3d printer and I don’t know shock in is big enough?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I've been told that the Ashida case halves can be printed on an Elegoo Saturn, which has a build volume of 192mm (L) * 120mm(W) * 200mm (H). As long as your printers' build volume is equal to or greater than that, you should be able to print the Ashida. Might take some tilting shenanigans tho

Last edited:
If you want to go the less expensive fdm route, an Ender 3 will work just fine. However it may take quite a few prints before the desired results are achieved. (I personally ran out of filament so I have a good front piece, and a not so good back piece.)

Howdy, would the Ender 3 V3 SE be good to print a decent shell? Obviously it will fit, but will it be decent enough?

That depends in your print settings and your definition of "decent enough". O originally started with an fdm printed shell but upgraded to an sls one, and it feels a lot better. However, if you are willing to put in the time to sand and fill an fdm printed one then you can end up with a shell that is just as good.

Portables
working on No.1
Howdy, would the Ender 3 V3 SE be good to print a decent shell? Obviously it will fit, but will it be decent enough?
i used that and the print quality at the maximum is pretty good. then again i haven't used anything better, but i stand by it.

MJMT

Portables
I have an ender 5 plus that can handle the size easy. The only problem is that I suck at printing.

MJMT

Portables
Bambulabs P1S works great too.
Is it worth the money? It claims to "work right out of the box". I'm so sick of leveling after almost every print and stuff like that with my ender.

It is worth it 100%. I bought it for that exact reason, I was sick of constantly calibrating and adjusting. The P1S works straight out of the box, you just have it run through it's automated calibration and I was getting infinitely better prints straight away compared to my old one.

MJMT

Portables
It is worth it 100%. I bought it for that exact reason, I was sick of constantly calibrating and adjusting. The P1S works straight out of the box, you just have it run through it's automated calibration and I was getting infinitely better prints straight away compared to my old one.
did you get all the addons?

did you get all the addons?
I got it with the AMS and the enclosure, although both are optional. I don't find myself doing multi color prints often but it does make it easier to print in different colors without having to swap out the filaments.

Personally speaking, if you want to go the FDM route, buy the Bambulabs X1C (or P1S) all day long. I wouldn't even consider anything else at this moment in time.

If you want to brave going down the resin route, I have what is largely considered the 'Bambu of the resin printing world'. Uniformation EKtwo. Cheaper than a Bambu, but definitely a more premium (read: expensive) resin printer.

You need to factor in all of the wash and cleaning station too. Plus resin takes a bit of a steep learning curve, albeit, the EKtwo definitely holds your hand and irons out all of the common headaches much like Bambu does for FDM printing.

It also has a very large build volume for a resin machine, easily enough for an Ashida I'd have thought.

Personally speaking, if you want to go the FDM route, buy the Bambulabs X1C (or P1S) all day long. I wouldn't even consider anything else at this moment in time.

If you want to brave going down the resin route, I have what is largely considered the 'Bambu of the resin printing world'. Uniformation EKtwo. Cheaper than a Bambu, but definitely a more premium (read: expensive) resin printer.

You need to factor in all of the wash and cleaning station too. Plus resin takes a bit of a steep learning curve, albeit, the EKtwo definitely holds your hand and irons out all of the common headaches much like Bambu does for FDM printing.

It also has a very large build volume for a resin machine, easily enough for an Ashida I'd have thought.
Thank you for posting this! I've been looking into a resin printer and this one looks great!