Question What’s the best way to test a trimmed Wii?

I’ve already posted a picture of my Wii trim, and I’m eager to test if it works, I ordered a few pth08080 boards from ebay since they’re out of stock basically everywhere, but they won’t arrive for a while still. Is there another way to power the board to test it? I thought about ordering the PMS lite from 4 layer, but I don’t want to commit to ordering all of the parts just yet if I don’t know that the Wii works. Any suggestions?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Unless you have an adustable bench power supply, custom regs are the only way.

Also the Wii is THE disposable part. Of all things to fail, 90% of the time it's the Wii, and you want it to be the Wii. It's the easiest part to replace and troubleshoot

Unless you have an adustable bench power supply, custom regs are the only way.

Also the Wii is THE disposable part. Of all things to fail, 90% of the time it's the Wii, and you want it to be the Wii. It's the easiest part to replace and troubleshoot
Is there an alternative to the pth08080s or another way to make power regulators? I'm just hoping to be able to work on it soon. Also would the PMS lite be a good way to test it?

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Is there an alternative to the pth08080s or another way to make power regulators? I'm just hoping to be able to work on it soon. Also would the PMS lite be a good way to test it?
There are many cheaper alternative regulators, but they're almost all chinesium garbage that can't supply the needed current without bursting into flames (not hyperbole, it's happened more than once). Aside from that, obtaining an adjustable benchtop power supply able to supply the 4 needed voltages is the only other way.

And yeah, the PMS is a great way to test whether the trim is functional. Please note that you will need at least one li-ion/li-po cell in order to use the PMS. Even if power is supplied via the charge input pads, it is unable to function without at least one connected lithium cell.

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
Please note that you will need at least one li-ion/li-po cell in order to use the PMS. Even if power is supplied via the charge input pads, it is unable to function without at least one connected lithium cell.
A better device for just testing if your trim works would be a RVL-PSU. CrazyGadget sells them assembled or you can order all the parts and assemble it yourself. Should be cheaper than PMS-Lite and more reliable than PTHs. It's good to have one on hand for easily testing trims w/o needing a battery to connect to PMS-Lite (although I have been able to test trims w/o a battery connected on PMS-Lite but I have no idea how, incorrect wiring that somehow is enough to let things function is probably the reason lol)

A better device for just testing if your trim works would be a RVL-PSU. CrazyGadget sells them assembled or you can order all the parts and assemble it yourself. Should be cheaper than PMS-Lite and more reliable than PTHs. It's good to have one on hand for easily testing trims w/o needing a battery to connect to PMS-Lite (although I have been able to test trims w/o a battery connected on PMS-Lite but I have no idea how, incorrect wiring that somehow is enough to let things function is probably the reason lol)
Hmm, sounds interesting. Do you have a link to where I can buy one? I can't seem to find where you're referring to. Thanks for the tip!

Portables

Darn, well that's unfortunate. Either way I need to order the PMS anyways so I might as well use that.

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
I definitely need to do some thorough testing before I even think about selling, but if all goes well, I'll build them if people want them.