Question Weird PMS-Lite Behaviour

After killing my first trimmed Wii and taking a long hiatus, I figured I should try to trim a Wii again. Did the trim, sanded, checked resistances and everything seemed fine. However the bloody thing wouldn't boot! When powering it via my psu set to 3.7v it turned on for a second and then promptly shut off. After increasing the voltage to 4v it finally stayed on and drew around 8w, but I have yet to check if I get a video output as I was tired of constantly rewiring everything to check for shorts or resand some edges and therefore left the screen unattached.

Is this normal for the pms lite? What is the mininum voltage for the pms lite to succesfully turn on?

IMG_20231009_170648.jpg
IMG_20231009_170650.jpg
IMG_20231009_170658.jpg
IMG_20231009_170725.jpg

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
The PMS can't just take in PSU power on the battery terminals, you *need* an actual battery hooked up.

Is there any reason for this? The PSU certainly is capable of delivering enough voltage and current and the PMS shouldn't try to charge the psu without anything attached to the charge terminals. But I will certainly try attaching the batteries now

EDIT: Well I'll be damned, CrazyGadget was right, attaching batteries solved the issue and the wii is now booting to the no usb bbloader screen(unsurprising, as I didn't connect any usb yet) with composite video(still have to test vga)
Its ALIIIIVE.jpg

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
PSU power confuses the battery management system. It's expecting a certain voltage behaviour