Question Trimming Board Question

Can I trim the Board before removing the u10? I'm asking because I'm getting a hot air station and I want to just get it over with

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You can, but you shouldn't. It's better to do u10 before trimming so you KNOW it works. Trimming adds in many additional points of failure, and makes troubleshooting that much more annoying when you can't establish what was working earlier.

Legend

Portables
Yes Id listen to stitches... if you get too impatient, you might end up with a dead board before your able to verify if anything works. I did the U10 relocation on 3 boards before and it can be a very finnicky process. My recommendation is doing it before the trim, and verifying with a multi-meter.. you also dont NEED hot air to remove U5 and U10, but its probably more recommended as flooding components off poses a greater risk of damaging them if not done right. Hope this helps!

Thanks I've been trying to do it by just desoldering but it's really stuck on there.

Legend

Portables
Oh yeah haha they are definitely on there good. What I would do to save some damage (even tho U9 is a backup) is wait for your hot air station, then do a little mixture of flooding and using the hot air at the same time..

Because you'll find that the hot air might take a while on it's own to get the component off, so I would just recommend heating one side with your iron, keep the hot air on it and then heat the other side and it should slide off quickly and easily.. that's my recommendation anyways haha