Question Total newbie here! I'm interested in getting into Wii portables.

Trying to get into this scene so late, it's probably no surprise that I'm very overwhelmed so I would appreciate if some veterans could help me get started.

Firstly, which portable would be a good starting project? I've been interested in the G-Boy and Ashida but don't know which one to start off with.

Second, is there a list that compiles all the parts needed for building one of these portables? I would love to just order everything at once and have everything I need to build a portable and not have to worry about ordering stuff as I go but I'm worried I'll miss something of I don't have a list of everything I need.

Thanks!

Portables
working on No.1
Trying to get into this scene so late, it's probably no surprise that I'm very overwhelmed so I would appreciate if some veterans could help me get started.

Firstly, which portable would be a good starting project? I've been interested in the G-Boy and Ashida but don't know which one to start off with.

Second, is there a list that compiles all the parts needed for building one of these portables? I would love to just order everything at once and have everything I need to build a portable and not have to worry about ordering stuff as I go but I'm worried I'll miss something of I don't have a list of everything I need.

Thanks!
You should try the Ashida. It has a convenient BOM (Bill Of Materials) which goes over everything you need. there are tones of worklogs about it and you only need to order from a few places to accumulate all the parts you need. It also uses custom PCBs for stuff like the controller and the interface, making it the perfect choice for a beginner making their first portable. Here's the URL for the thread:
Ashida Wii Portable | BitBuilt - Giving Life to Old Consoles

the G-boy isn't as good to get started anymore as the kit isn't available anymore and Gman hasn't open sourced more than the case files, meaning it isn't as good a starter as the Ashida. it does have an updated version that uses the 4 layer tech boards, but it isn't as good for beginners as it requires way more wires :(

Another option is the G-Wii. it is smaller than the Ashida, but doesn't have those magic custom circuit boards, so therefore also requires more wires. (1) Model - G-Wii CAD files | BitBuilt - Giving Life to Old Consoles

The Louii is another portable, but it isn't recommended as it is quite a tight build and requires a more advanced version of the basic OMGWTF trim. It also requires you to order custom circuit boards from a manufacturing company like JLC PCB, PCBway or OSHpark. cons aside, this is a very nice, sleek portable, smaller than the G-Wii and the Ashida but with the same 5 inch, 16:9 IPS display and with a BOM. it is smaller than a switch with the same buttons and joysticks. URL: (1) Model - Louii Twoii CAD Files | BitBuilt - Giving Life to Old Consoles

Hope this was helpful!

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
the G-boy isn't as good to get started anymore as the kit isn't available anymore and Gman hasn't open sourced more than the case files, meaning it isn't as good a starter as the Ashida. it does have an updated version that uses the 4 layer tech boards, but it isn't as good for beginners as it requires way more wires :(
There is a community-member-made update to the G-Boy case files, with some custom-made PCBs to accept the 4LayerTech suite of boards! Here is a link to that thread. As a heads up, it is not perfect and has its quirks - I made a post later in that thread with my experience building one and advice on anyone using that model. There are also some other remixes around the forums (like those from Curtis), all generally based around the same QOL improvements. I will also say that the build does require a tad bit of finer soldering (FFCs on the controller board, SMD buttons), but tbh it shouldn't be any harder than soldering the FFC connector on the Ashida's controller boards.

Overall I agree with your consensus; the Ashida is absolutely the most beginner-friendly portable out there right now, especially with how integrated it is with the custom PCBs and the plethora of worklogs!

Portables
working on No.1
There is a community-member-made update to the G-Boy case files, with some custom-made PCBs to accept the 4LayerTech suite of boards! Here is a link to that thread. As a heads up, it is not perfect and has its quirks - I made a post later in that thread with my experience building one and advice on anyone using that model. There are also some other remixes around the forums (like those from Curtis), all generally based around the same QOL improvements. I will also say that the build does require a tad bit of finer soldering (FFCs on the controller board, SMD buttons), but tbh it shouldn't be any harder than soldering the FFC connector on the Ashida's controller boards.

Overall I agree with your consensus; the Ashida is absolutely the most beginner-friendly portable out there right now, especially with how integrated it is with the custom PCBs and the plethora of worklogs!
Thanks CrazyGadget!

Last edited:
You should try the Ashida. It has a convenient BOM (Bill Of Materials) which goes over everything you need. there are tones of worklogs about it and you only need to order from a few places to accumulate all the parts you need. It also uses custom PCBs for stuff like the controller and the interface, making it the perfect choice for a beginner making their first portable. Here's the URL for the thread:
Ashida Wii Portable | BitBuilt - Giving Life to Old Consoles

Another option is the G-Wii. it is smaller than the Ashida, but doesn't have those magic custom circuit boards, so therefore also requires more wires. (1) Model - G-Wii CAD files | BitBuilt - Giving Life to Old Consoles

The Louii is another portable, but it isn't recommended as it is quite a tight build and requires a more advanced version of the basic OMGWTF trim. It also requires you to order custom circuit boards from a manufacturing company like JLC PCB, PCBway or OSHpark. cons aside, this is a very nice, sleek portable, smaller than the G-Wii and the Ashida but with the same 5 inch, 16:9 IPS display and with a BOM. it is smaller than a switch with the same buttons and joysticks. URL: (1) Model - Louii Twoii CAD Files | BitBuilt - Giving Life to Old Consoles

Hope this was helpful!
THANK YOUUUU

So I have watched a few YouTube videos and I was wondering what people's approaches were for modding Wii for homebrew.

Im planning to do at least one Ashida and one Wii-Boy.

I have been watching GingerofVODs and whilst its really helpful watching start to finish, they are really long.

However, my question is, all that Ginger does is use the Letterbomb Wii site, plus install RVL Loader.

I've seen various videos that install BootMii, PriiLoader plus the cIOS Installer as well.

This is the video in question:
What I dont want to do is follow Ginger blindly (despite the fact he's clearly a credible member of this community and extremely experienced), and not create the most optimised portable Wii possible without exploring all my options.

My concern is that this particular YouTuber referred to the NUS Downloader (for the cIOS installer), tells the audience to download various WAD packages without explaining why or what its for.

What advantages or disadvantages do any of this stuff have on making a portable Wii? Are there any pros and cons?

Can anyone help a noob out please? Thanks in advance :)

Redux

For homebrewing your Wii, I always recommend using wii.hacks.guide. This site will always have the most recent methods and files for homebrewing your Wii. The video you linked is already quite outdated, despite being from 2023. There are easier and better hacks now, such as the ModMii tool, WilBrand (The replacement for LetterBomb), and str2hax.

You don't have to install BootMii, PriiLoader, and cIOS, but I personally would recommend installing those, along with doing a NAND backup so that you have the most protection possible in case something goes wrong.

If this is your first time homebrewing a Wii, I would recommend doing the following steps:

1. Make sure you have a USB drive and optionally (if you want to make a BootMii backup for protection) an SD card, and format them as FAT32 (You can google how to do this)
  2. Go to wii.hacks.guide
  3. Click on "Get Started" at the top
  4. If you have an SD card, click on the Wilbrand link, and if you don't, then click on the str2hax link.
  5. Follow the instructions on the website, and when you're done executing either exploit, click on the link to "Continue to Homebrew Channel and BootMii Installation"
  6. If you are NOT using an SD card, then simply follow the instruction up to step 5 (clicking continue after installing the Homebrew Channel), then click on "Exit" on the HackMii installer and click on "Priiloader" on the top left of the webpage (skip step 7 of this guide too). If you ARE using an SD card, then follow all the instructions on this page, and click on "Continue to making a NAND Backup using BootMii"
  7. Follow all the instructions on this page, then click on "Continue to Priiloader Installation"
  8. Follow all the instructions on this page, and then your homebrew with protections should be all set up! Don't install cIOS (as Stitches mentioned), and if you want, you can install Open Shop Channel to download homebrew software like emulators for your Wii, but this is optional and can be done later.
  9. If you are NOT using an SD card, then simply insert your USB drive into your computer and follow the guide to download and install RVLoader here. If you ARE using an SD card, then insert both your SD card and your USB drive into your computer. On the SD card, cut and paste the nand.bin file and the keys.bin file to somewhere safe on your computer. Then, copy and paste everything else from your SD card onto your USB drive. You can now eject your SD card since you don't need it anymore! Finally, follow the guide to download and install RVLoader here.
Hope this helps! Let me know if there's any clarification needed!

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
So I have watched a few YouTube videos and I was wondering what people's approaches were for modding Wii for homebrew.

Im planning to do at least one Ashida and one Wii-Boy.

I have been watching GingerofVODs and whilst its really helpful watching start to finish, they are really long.

However, my question is, all that Ginger does is use the Letterbomb Wii site, plus install RVL Loader.

I've seen various videos that install BootMii, PriiLoader plus the cIOS Installer as well.

This is the video in question:
What I dont want to do is follow Ginger blindly (despite the fact he's clearly a credible member of this community and extremely experienced), and not create the most optimised portable Wii possible without exploring all my options.

My concern is that this particular YouTuber referred to the NUS Downloader (for the cIOS installer), tells the audience to download various WAD packages without explaining why or what its for.

What advantages or disadvantages do any of this stuff have on making a portable Wii? Are there any pros and cons?

Can anyone help a noob out please? Thanks in advance :)
Running the RVLoader installer also installs Priiloader and all the required CIOS modules. Afaik there isn't any functional or compatibility reason to not install bootmii as an IOS during HackMii installation, but it can be skipped without issue. Bootmii is mostly used as partial brick protection, which isn't really useful once the Wii is trimmed.

For homebrewing your Wii, I always recommend using wii.hacks.guide. This site will always have the most recent methods and files for homebrewing your Wii. The video you linked is already quite outdated, despite being from 2023. There are easier and better hacks now, such as the ModMii tool, WilBrand (The replacement for LetterBomb), and str2hax.

You don't have to install BootMii, PriiLoader, and cIOS, but I personally would recommend installing those, along with doing a NAND backup so that you have the most protection possible in case something goes wrong.

If this is your first time homebrewing a Wii, I would recommend doing the following steps:

1. Make sure you have a USB drive and optionally (if you want to make a BootMii backup for protection) an SD card, and format them as FAT32 (You can google how to do this)
  2. Go to wii.hacks.guide
  3. Click on "Get Started" at the top
  4. If you have an SD card, click on the Wilbrand link, and if you don't, then click on the str2hax link.
  5. Follow the instructions on the website, and when you're done executing either exploit, click on the link to "Continue to Homebrew Channel and BootMii Installation"
  6. If you are NOT using an SD card, then simply follow the instruction up to step 5 (clicking continue after installing the Homebrew Channel), then click on "Exit" on the HackMii installer and click on "Priiloader" on the top left of the webpage (skip step 7 of this guide too). If you ARE using an SD card, then follow all the instructions on this page, and click on "Continue to making a NAND Backup using BootMii"
  7. Follow all the instructions on this page, then click on "Continue to Priiloader Installation"
  8. Follow all the instructions on this page, then click on "Continue to cIOS" (For the normal Wii, not the Wii Mini)
  9. Follow all the instructions on this page, and then homebrew with protections should be all set up! If you want, you can install Open Shop Channel to download homebrew software like emulators for your Wii, but this is optional and can be done later.
  10. If you are NOT using an SD card, then simply insert your USB drive into your computer and follow the guide to download and install RVLoader here. If you ARE using an SD card, then insert both your SD card and your USB drive into your computer. On the SD card, cut and paste the nand.bin file and the keys.bin file to somewhere safe on your computer. Then, copy and paste everything else from your SD card onto your USB drive. You can now eject your SD card since you don't need it anymore! Finally, follow the guide to download and install RVLoader here.
Hope this helps! Let me know if there's any clarification needed!
RVLoader requires the latest 4.3 Firmware so using WilBrand over Letterbomb is moot, but str2hax not needing external file preparation is pretty nice. There's also no benefit to manually installing CIOS. RVLoader is a self contained package and installs all the needed CIOS modules for normal operation. Anything else is not required, and is not recommended. Manually installing CIOS is an unneccessary additional point of failure for new users that provides no benefit.