Thomii MK2 (weewii)

Thomothy

Something that was on my mind since the MK1 is that I can fit the wii and accompanying 4layer boards in a height of about 60mm so I decided I was going to make a portable heavily inspired by YveltalGriffin's UltraWii and Shanks PiiWii Pocket.
20240507_115434.jpg

The enclosure dimensions are 67x146x28mm
Screenshot_20240508_093631_Fusion.jpg

cc09a123-e600-4970-8533-f7bcebbd5d7b.jpg

Features:
~ 4layer tech boards
~ omega trimmed wii
~ 3.5" LCD
~ OEM switch parts
~ 4x18500 2000mAh batteries
~ electron shepherds dual tact switches

Internals:
received_453190280536296.jpeg

THE GOOD:
I like this guy because he uses all 4layer tech boards for compatability and ease of use. He also uses 18500s which allow me to make the case as small as it is while still using battery clips and having plenty of room for the triggers. He's also the first truly pocketable portable I've made and that's what I've truly wanted out of my portables.

THE BAD:
Since I'm using shorter batteries the 4 18500s give me about the same amount of power density as 2 18650s. Also as always I had some CAD issues. For instance the replacement switch sticks I bought didn't work so I had to widen the holes to fit OEM sticks. I also put the nub for the dead buttons in the wrong spot so all the arrows point inwards.

THE UGLY:
I'm also using 20mm fan (thank you loopj) and two 20mm copper heatsinks for heat dissipation and while he's holding up currently and staying at about 52c I'm a little worried. I tried to use heat tape for the wii but wasn't getting good enough thermal dissipation so I had to use my thermal glue.

Attachments

Portables
working on No.1
Great work @Thomothy !

Do you plan on open-scouring this?

Thomothy

Do you plan on open-scouring this?
Maybe if/when I get all the scuff off of it. One I used literal joycon PCBs because that’s what I had on hand but would much rather use something like the breakout boards going forward. Plus I updated my screwholes but I made them a little too thick to place the PMS2 upside down on them. Thirdly while this guy is a little wider and I think that’s actually able to be reduced if I can cad it right. And last but not least even though I use 4layer tech boards for open source type ness I would not wish wiring this demon on anyone since its clearance is so tight. Plus he’s very lite on features. Bro is kinda the bare bones of a Wii portable. He doesn’t have Bluetooth or MX attached to him. There’s better open source portables out there that are of similar size.

Thomothy

If anyone wants to attempt this monstrosity I’d be willing to give them the cad files though.

Portables
Not even one portable has been built by me. Yet
Do you have like a assembly video or something for us to build it ourselves?

Thomothy

Do you have like a assembly video or something for us to build it ourselves?
I do not. It was a pain on the butt just trying to get this guy working. If you notice the placement of the gc+ you'll realize not everything was planned out perfectly. I'm just lucky that I decided to go with 27mm and not 25mm so I can shove the gc+ between the driver board and wii with no issue.

Portables
Not even one portable has been built by me. Yet
I do not. It was a pain on the butt just trying to get this guy working. If you notice the placement of the gc+ you'll realize not everything was planned out perfectly. I'm just lucky that I decided to go with 27mm and not 25mm so I can shove the gc+ between the driver board and wii with no issue.
Okay

Thomothy

So more than a few people asked to attempt this build So instead of steaming ahead onto MK3s design I actually removed some of the scuff from MK2. I made the posts for the switch boards bigger making them less prone to breaking. Widened the hole for the joysticks to accept OEM sticks since I made this using broken joycons. I also changed the design of the triggers so in theory they should work better but no promises. the only things that are still a little funky are the buttons and the fact that I don't have anything to secure the screen, driverboard, or GC+.

FOR PEOPLE THAT WANT TO ATTEMPT THIS:
Please understand that this is a challenging build, It's not nice, there is not much wiggle room, and I made it because I wanted to have a portable that I can fit into my pocket so it is Very lite on features. That being said if you still want to attempt this I will gladly help you through the process when it comes to putting everything together but if you try asking me about how to do any of the "prerequisite stuff" you should know before attempting any omega build I can't promise I'll be as helpful. But if you have done omega trims before and feel confident feel free to give it a shot! and don't be shy to modify, change, improve, worsen anything you see fit!

okay I'm tired and going to go to bed I hope y'all have a good night and feel free to send me any questions you have.

P.S. I added a BOM to the zip with links. Aswell when attempting this build understand that the PMS is located rather close to the bottom of the enclosure. Meaning if you use PLA there is a chance of warping especially during charge and play sessions. I would advise using something that is a little more heat resistive.

Attachments