Worklog The O-Wii, my first portable Wii

Hello, 3 years ago I came across one of Benge's videos where he made the O-Wii. I then became interested in creating my own portable Wii and was literally obsessed with it. In 3 years I had to learn the material from scratch and with my own means. I had no welding experience and I especially had no welding equipment. I bought everything as the project progressed. After breaking a dozen Wiis, testing them, having breakdowns. Here I am today to show you my progress!!! I finally managed to make a 100% portable Wii version (on battery). For the moment everything is in prototyping, I will receive the 3D shell of my O-Wii in a week I will tell you about it once received.
thanks to @Benge for the idea and the 3d files. Thank you to the people on this forum for helping me even if I sometimes asked stupid questions.
Anyway, here's a photo of my progress so far.

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
They're not essential for operation, but you'll run the risk of voltage ripple damage if you don't relocate them. The PSU+ is pretty well filtered, but it's always a possibility

Hello, how do I connect Nintendo DS buttons to my Wii. Thank you..

Attachments

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I believe that case is designed for the DS Lite breakout boards. You can use the DS Lite motherboard that you have if you cut it to size and drill the holes to mount it. You'll just have to use a multimeter to find which traces belong to which button pads and solder some wires to them

I found a picture with the soldering points of the buttons but when I connect with GND it looks like the button is sending a signal continuously.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
ABXY have 4 contacts each, 2 of which are ground pads that are connected together. You may have accidentally wired the input line to the second ground contact

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
It's possible that since the DS Lite motherboard is still populated, voltage is being leeched from the GC+ enough to count as the button being constantly pressed. You may need to cut the board into bits, and/or desolder the ICs on the other side of the board to disconnect the button pads from the parasitic components.

(updated) I received my 3D parts so I'm almost finished building my console. All I'm missing are the ABXY buttons and the D-pad. I just started cutting up a dead Nintendo DS to get the buttons and I'm going to plug them into the GC+, finally I'll connect the screen control buttons.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hello, today I encountered a new problem.
I realized that not all Wii games work with GC+, no buttons work. The only game that works 100% is Mario Kart.
I have activated and configured GC2wiimote for each game but it does not work. (Game Cube games work) Help.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
This could be caused by several things, USB compatibility would be number 1. If you have other drives that you can copy the files to and test, that would eliminate that possibility. Another common issue with Wii games not working properly is quality of power wiring. If you don't have thick enough wires (22AWG) supplying voltage to the Wii and at least 2 ground wires between the Wii and the regulators, some seemingly unrelated issues can occur with Wii games.

Re-bonjour, j'ai écouté vos conseils et j'ai finalement découvert que gc+ ne fonctionne pas si le bluetooth est activé. Après avoir résolu ce problème, j'en suis tombé sur un autre.... dans le menu de configuration les boutons L et R sont reconnus et quand j'appuie dessus ils affichent 255 mais je n'arrive pas à les configurer dans les paramètres gc+ d'un jeu wii. Cela peut paraître stupide mais je ne trouve rien sur ce type de problème.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Did you check that the GC+ trigger type is set to digital/dual tact in the configurator app/RVLoader settings? I think it defaults to digital, but it's worth checking

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah that's correct. If you're using dual tact switches or the dual action tact switches from Electron Shepherd, and they're wired correctly, that should work

Is one pressure level enough or do you need two?
(The connection of its buttons is 1 GND wire and another for the L/R pads of the GC+?) Sorry if my english is bad, it comes from Google Translate...

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Is one pressure level enough or do you need two?
(The connection of its buttons is 1 GND wire and another for the L/R pads of the GC+?) Sorry if my english is bad, it comes from Google Translate...
You need two. Gamecube triggers have two stages: the analog pull, and the tactile click at the end. You need a tact switch for each trigger stage, or one tact switch that has two stages like these ones.