Question Restoring GameCube compatibility to a Wii Family edition

Ok, so we have a problem. Now whenever I plug the Wii into power, the red led will not come on. However, when I press eject, the led will turn green for a second then blink out again. I accidentally got some solder on the rim of the board which might be causing a short. Here are some pictures. How should I fix this?View attachment 28881
That indicates a short. Are you sure you're supposed to be shorting all of those pads? I did try once to relocate the smd components from a backwards compatible wii to a family edition and i also got a short and one of the components burnt up (i can't remember which component, i assumed it was a bad soldering job since I didn't have a microscope at the time). like i said earlier, it would probably just be easier to just run jumper wires to the controller vias themselves and such.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
That indicates a short. Are you sure you're supposed to be shorting all of those pads? I did try once to relocate the smd components from a backwards compatible wii to a family edition and i also got a short and one of the components burnt up (i can't remember which component, i assumed it was a bad soldering job since I didn't have a microscope at the time). like i said earlier, it would probably just be easier to just run jumper wires to the controller vias themselves and such.
I see it now that you mention it, he's gone and shorted 3.3v and 5v to ground, as well as the data line.

Ok, so we have a problem. Now whenever I plug the Wii into power, the red led will not come on. However, when I press eject, the led will turn green for a second then blink out again. I accidentally got some solder on the rim of the board which might be causing a short. Here are some pictures. How should I fix this?View attachment 28881
Earlier I mentioned that you should consult the Trimming Guide to check which pads need to be shorted, I didn't mean just short them all. Only the filter footprints need to be shorted to make the essential connections. The capacitors aren't required, and since all of them are pulled low, you've shorted all 3 lines to ground. Remove the shorts from all but the filter pads and the system should boot again.

Sorry I haven't replied in a while. Thank you all so much for your support and advice, but even after wiring up the tact switch between the MX Chip and GND, I still wasn't able to get it to boot. I think I accidentally ripped out a copper trace on a different part of the motherboard, and that's keeping it from turning on. I don't think this thing will be playing GameCube games anytime soon, but If I get it to work, it'll be the perfect subject to replace the old Wii I broke while trying to make my portable. Also, I made a YouTube video sort of documenting this entire process (sorry this sounds like a plug) if you want to see it. Here's the link Thanks to everyone who helped give advice on this project, even if I didn't get the results I was hoping for. See you in the next build!