Question Removing High-Speed Port (P10)

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Hi, I'm new and I'm trying to start my first GC Portable project. I'm currently removing the ports by breaking the connectors off (I had tried using a heat gun by melting the solder to pull out the connector while covering the rest of the board in aluminum foil but my board died after this, I think some other components fell off) and so far I have all of them off but one and the board is still working. However, I can't get the high speed port to break off, and I don't want to damage the board by forcing it any harder. Anyone have some tips to get this thing off?

Ampz

I'm not sure if you want to try this but a way that worked for me pretty well is to use needle nose pliers and keep bending the port back and forth until it came off, after this i would then snap the bare wire that was left and sweep it off my board.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
When I did mine, I just manhandled it, grabbed the end of the port with some pliers and wiggled the board back and forth. I made sure not to bend the board though, if it's bending you might snap it.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
When I did mine, I just manhandled it, grabbed the end of the port with some pliers and wiggled the board back and forth. I made sure not to bend the board though, if it's bending you might snap it.
That's what I've been trying to do but it's proving much more difficult than the rest. Do you grab it with the plyers more towards the base or the center of the connector?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Right next to the plastic, but still on the metal is where I grab with pliers. Then I hold the board with my hand relatively close to the connector.