Question Regulators other than TI

pengy

Hey guys, I'm heading into my next project and I'm looking at regulators now.

I found some cheap ones on amazon with positive reviews and I'm wondering if y'all think they'll work fine for the wii. They Run at 92% efficiency which is nearly identical to the PTH08080 regulators. Is the current limit enough for our applications? They're attractive to me because they don't require any additional components to work and they only cost $2 each with free shipping instead of the $10+shipping you'd spend to get an 08080 and the SMD cap and resistor to wire it up.

Do you think these will work?

Noah

retired
Portables
Apparently the Amazon plugin won't load for some reason. I'll take a look at that (or it might be adblock, not sure.)

Here is the link for anyone who doesn't get the plugin to show up.

pengy

Thanks noah lol. Aurelio mentioned it earlier. It is showing for me but I tried to force it to stay a link cause I knew there might be an issue.

Noah

retired
Portables
Yeah, it's an adblock thing. We don't have any ads on BitBuilt anyways and never will so if y'all want to add the site to the "never block ads" list feel free so that it shows up.

JacksonS

Portables
I don't know, but the circuitry looks simpler than that of the PTH08080WAH, so I'm inclined to believe it'll produce more noise or something along those lines.

pengy

Aurelio told me on chat that he's tried them and there was a general lack of quality. Apparently they get really hot and might not be able to sustain the current we need. I went ahead and bought TIs and some SMD caps and resistors.