Question PSP Console

Tonic

I had no idea where to put this, so i settled on sony. if it belongs in handhelds im sorry.

So im 100% new. i have a raspberry pi 3b and a 3d printer.bottom line i want to make a psp console that can run games though HDMI. my other goals would be to make it able to run games faster than a psp would and play ps1 and or ps2 games (this last part i imagine being extremely difficult and is more of a wish than a goal lol)

any help i can get is appreciated

Since you have a rasberry pi 3, ps1 can already run fairly decent already. I know it cannot do ps2 emulation. That is out of the question.

I am not sure about psp emulation, but the rasberry pi can do so many more systems. Rasberry pis are meant for old systems. Like 16 bit systems, and some 32 and 64 bit systems. But the 64 bit systems are not emulated as well.

Some stations that it can emulate perfectly are Nes, Snes, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, Sega Genesis, Any older Sega system, and many others besides.

Tonic

i was more thinking using actual psp hardware and allowing it to connect via hdmi. i figured a pi might help with boosting the psp's power?
ill be the first to admit i have no idea what im getting into, but if i have to buy anything thats fine im not pinching pennies

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
i was more thinking using actual psp hardware and allowing it to connect via hdmi. i figured a pi might help with boosting the psp's power?
ill be the first to admit i have no idea what im getting into, but if i have to buy anything thats fine im not pinching pennies
Sadly, you can't use a Pi to "boost" an existing device. It's one or the other.

Tonic

understandable they are 2 entirely different sets of hardware. out of curiosity would it be possible to use both of them together for some purpose? if not ill probly use it for something else

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
understandable they are 2 entirely different sets of hardware. out of curiosity would it be possible to use both of them together for some purpose? if not ill probly use it for something else
They can't inter-communicate. With some creative fuckery and tiny wire, you might be able to get the PSP controls to control the Pi when the PSP is off, but that is assuming the Pi could even fit inside.

Tonic

sounds incredibly useful.
that aside would it be possible to create a psp console like thing where the device uses hdmi? (this using hardware in a psp already)

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
If you gut a PSP (i.e. remove motherboard, UMD Drive) then there’s ample room for a Pi, especially if you remove the Pi’s ports. From there you could wire a screen (the stock PSP screen probably won’t work with a Pi without a LOT of tech know-how) and hook the PSP’s buttons up to the Pi’s GPIO pins, but those buttons use kind of a membrane like DualShock controllers do and are not easy to solder to.

My advice if you want to use a PSP case is to buy a replacement shell off eBay or wherever, provide your own screen (4” wide? Matching the exact screen size would be hard), and use squishy tacts under the buttons. At this point you’re using nothing of your original PSP, but I’m not sure if you’d gain anything at all by using original hardware.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
From what I can see the psp can output composite video with a special cable, and then you can hook that into a composite to hdmi converter

Tonic

In the end my goal is to make a psp console not out of necessity but just for fun. Anyway I can make it better in the process is on the table. If the pi won't work with that I won't lose sleep over it

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
From what I can see the psp can output composite video with a special cable, and then you can hook that into a composite to hdmi converter
I bought one of those cables for my PSP years ago. It’s not great. Iirc it doesn’t output gameplay over composite, only videos (which includes digital videos and UMD movies). Even then, it doesn’t output full screen.

Sony also made a component cable for PSP which I think does allow gameplay on a connected TV. I might have to try to track one of those down.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
They took the motherboard out of a psp, connected all the buttons to the printer port on the front, and wired av out to the PS2 av out port. If you search up the pinout for the connector you should be able to wire them together

Tonic

sounds complex, being new at this is there anything i should know getting into this?

sounds complex, being new at this is there anything i should know getting into this?
That... is a very, very open-ended question. I'd just say that if you can follow a pinout diagram, know the difference between signal and ground, and can solder half-decently, you'll be fine. And of course, if you encounter anything that warrants specific questions, folks here will be more than happy to help you out. Best of luck!

Tonic

for now im going to try to get my hands on some busted consoles to use, thank you so much for the help everyone!