Question Problem connecting gamecube controller

Hello everyone, my problem is that I decided to cut a Wii for the project, but when connecting the control number 1 to the Wii it is not recognized, are there alternative points for the controls of a Wii 4 layers?
I also tried a gamecube controller without success

Attachments

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Those vias and the resistor array above them are the only spots to access the controller data lines

Those vias and the resistor array above them are the only spots to access the controller data lines
Thanks for answering, do you have any idea why the data line doesn't work? Will it be damaged in the process or by overheating when testing?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Sadly I have no idea. It's a direct data line, it either works or it doesn't. The only troubleshooting step I know for it is to make sure the RA1 resistor array is properly receiving 3.3v on this side
1689509583570.png

It may also be worth doing a quick continuity check from the exposed wire to the resistor array leg just to be sure that your solder joint is good

Thanks for answering, do you have any idea why the data line doesn't work? Will it be damaged in the process or by overheating when testing?
I tested that there is continuity and if there is 3.3v, that is the problem, everything seems to be fine, with bluetooth working I can move it with the Wii control but the gamecube is not capable

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Can you upload a picture of the GameCube controller port wiring?

For bench testing I use an old controller port/board from a trimmed Wii and wire 3.3v, GND, and data to the Wii board.

Can you upload a picture of the GameCube controller port wiring?

For bench testing I use an old controller port/board from a trimmed Wii and wire 3.3v, GND, and data to the Wii board.
yes of course here you go, I also made a bridge to the pin that stitches told me to rule out that if 3.3v reached the data components but without success,

Attachments

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Wiring on the port looks good.

Did you sand the board of the controller port after cutting it? I'd check resistances values against all the pins to make sure there isn't a short on the controller port itself.

I'd also check the voltage on the controller port to ensure it's getting the full 3.3v.

As for your question earlier about other locations for wiring the GameCube data line. There is a second port1 near where you have your data line soldered now that you could try next.

IMG_20230716_121908.jpg

Wiring on the port looks good.

Did you sand the board of the controller port after cutting it? I'd check resistances values against all the pins to make sure there isn't a short on the controller port itself.

I'd also check the voltage on the controller port to ensure it's getting the full 3.3v.

As for your question earlier about other locations for wiring the GameCube data line. There is a second port1 near where you have your data line soldered now that you could try next.

View attachment 28712
I already verified that there is no short between pins and I even connected the 5v to its pin and tried the controls without success, I also tried a wireless and synchronized one but without data until the Wii, the truth is driving me a little crazy, I am beginning to believe that it is messed something up in the process

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
It's very possible the port itself could be damaged. You could try wiring up a second one at this point.

Have you measured voltage on RA1 and the GameCube port to ensure you have the full 3.3v? If you have < 3.15v or less than 5 percent of the full voltage it could easily cause problems with functionality.

It's very possible the port itself could be damaged. You could try wiring up a second one at this point.

Have you measured voltage on RA1 and the GameCube port to ensure you have the full 3.3v? If you have < 3.15v or less than 5 percent of the full voltage it could easily cause problems with functionality.
I checked it this afternoon and I was at the output of the 3.28v regulator and I checked that I had them in RA1 and in the gamecube connector but it is true that I did not look if it had a voltage drop, in the morning I check it and I inform you, you just gave me a hope, thank you very much

I checked it this afternoon and I was at the output of the 3.28v regulator and I checked that I had them in RA1 and in the gamecube connector but it is true that I did not look if it had a voltage drop, in the morning I check it and I inform you, you just gave me a hope, thank you very much

I already checked the voltage and it is 3.28v in RA1 and the gamecube connector, I can also solder the data cable directly to the gamecube control because now I don't have another connector

Attachments