Question Portablizemii on a SD?

Is it possible to run portablizemii on a SD instead of a USB? I'm trying a project and i was hoping to make it decently slim, so I wanted to make most of the stuff (besides Wii games) run off of an SD card.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Everything on PortsblizeMii can be used with SD with the exception of Wii games, but not reliably. SD is very finnicky and difficult to wire up compared to USB. We've debated the pros and cons of using SD or USB, but SD has no advantages beyond it's form factor. Every trimmed Wii portable ever built primarily runs from USB, and Perdue has shown that you can build a crazy thin Wii portable, even with USB.

Everything on PortsblizeMii can be used with SD with the exception of Wii games, but not reliably. SD is very finnicky and difficult to wire up compared to USB. We've debated the pros and cons of using SD or USB, but SD has no advantages beyond it's form factor. Every trimmed Wii portable ever built primarily runs from USB, and Perdue has shown that you can build a crazy thin Wii portable, even with USB.
Well ok then, I'll stick withe USB. But is there a smaller size USB? Because mine is a long 1.5 in one that can be bought at a wallmart. If you are wondering why I'm asking, I dont want to have a USB that is super long and could break from hitting, let's say a door or something like that.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Well ok then, I'll stick withe USB. But is there a smaller size USB? Because mine is a long 1.5 in one that can be bought at a wallmart. If you are wondering why I'm asking, I dont want to have a USB that is super long and could break from hitting, let's say a door or something like that.
This is the "officially recommended" Samsung drive.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-128GB-Flash-MUF-128BB-AM/dp/B017DH3O5A/

I've heard that this newer Samsung one also works.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MUF-128AB-AM-Plus-128GB/dp/B07D7PDLXC/

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Holy moly that is tiny, it will work though. Thanks both of you for answering my questions (despite being dumb).
The capacity of the drive doesn't matter btw. You can use the 32GB or 64GB ones if your budget is tight.