Question Portable making questions from a first-time builder

I've been planning my first wii portable for a few months now, but I have a few super noob questions which I haven't been able to find answers to from worklogs, guides, etc. Apologies if any of these are super obvious, I have yet to get any of my parts in the mail.

1. How do you wire up tact switches to the GC+? It seems like there are 4 'bits' that can be connected to something, but I would assume you only need 2, those being the corresponding pad and GND.

2. How do you wire up joysticks to the GC+? Do you need additional parts as I would guess you need more than tact switches.

3. How do I get an LED board to link up to the RVL PMS? I know you need one for the LED, but I'm not sure whether I buy one or make one myself.

4. I've been using Gingerofmods' Louii BOM as a reference for most of the parts I will need, and he lists 'switch stick breakouts'. What are these exactly, and what are they for?

5. I'd like to use either the Louii CAD files or the G-Wii CAD files for my first project, as I have little experience with 3d modelling. I'm planning to use the USB-C Board off of the bitbuilt store for charging and as an internal USB drive, which means that both designs won't be compatible. Does anyone have a remedy for this, or should I simply invest the time in editing the CAD files myself for what I need?

6. How do I wire up screen control buttons? I see that most builds use them, and as such I will most likely use them for the reason above.

7. What's the purpose of the LDO, and is it required to be taken off of the Wii motherboard if using the RVL PMS?

Disclaimer: Most of the questions are coming from the fact that I will be using the G-Boy manual as a guide for a custom one, as I believe most of the wiring will be exactly the same between the two, the only differences being that it has custom PCBs for controller input and audio. Is this the case, and if not, what else will I need to know that isn't in the G-Boy guide?

Thanks in advance!

*I may update this with future questions I may have*

Last edited:

Legend

Portables
I can attempt to answer some questions for you, but I may be corrected anywhere that is necessary.

1. - 2.) I saw you asked the question about tact switches in another thread and it was answered

3.) I dont think you need an LED board for the PMS as it comes with an LED and it has the corresponding "R, G, and B' points for it on the board itself.

4.) Switch stick breakout boards are mainly used to connect the switch sticks ribbon cable too, as the ribbons made out of a carbon like substance so the pads on the end of the ribbon cable would melt right off if you tried to solder to it. So a little board with a connector and pads to solder to is a breakout board.

5.) I myself do not have a remedy for your USB-C case issues, however I would just recommend editing them yourself to fit the charging board/ port etc.

6.) your screen controls mainly have to do with your screen itself. Some come with little control boards, but most of the ones used here might not because of the small form factor. I did see that somebody had made a control board to use with Portablize-Mii, but i dont know much about it and i dont think thats screen controls.

7.) low-dropout or LDO regulator is a DC linear voltage regulator that can regulate the output voltage even when the supply voltage is very close to the output voltage. It is not needed on the wii, so you could remove it to save that little bit of space.. removal is required for the G-Boy case I know.

Hope this could answer some of your questions. I may be wrong, or may have not given enough info on some things, but thats the summary of it lol

Xerehm

the G-Wii actually has a version that integrates the USB-C board here :)

Legend

Portables
Ah yes, my mistake.. thank you for clearing that up cheese!!