Worklog Pms Lite Stuff/Worklog

dababy

Hey everyone I am just Wondering if there is a way to test a pms lite if it is fried or not because while i was putting my portable together everything just stopped working:( screen, sound, fan, ect. also the reason there is a /worklog is because if the pms is fried imma have to get some custom regulators and that i will definitely need help with. now as for what i have tried with the pms is: charging batteries and retrying, removing all wiring and rewiring the whole thing and retest voltages on wii (to make sure i didn't blow any of those). what is odd though is that i never actually got the wii to boot before this happened. the first time i powered it on the screen booted to its main menu (blue screen)stayed like that for a while then bam, no power. yeah i did kinda rage pause this project because this happened in February but now I'm ready to try again. thanks

Attachments

dababy

okay so after further testing it looks like i need custom regulators. i am just wondering if the PTR08080WAS will work instead of the WAH. thanks,

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Looking back at your first post, I would say the best way to test the PMS is to only wire up the bare bones: a singular battery, a power button, and an LED (not really needed but good indicator for if the PMS is turning on or not). Hold the power button for 2 seconds, then use your multimeter to check each one of the voltage rails. If you really want to get into the nitty gritty troubleshooting (in the event your PMS doesn't boot or your voltages aren't right or something), you can check the resistance between your voltage rails and ground, between each other, and just check for what seems like unusually low resistance (close to, if not 0 ohms).

In reference to your second post, the WAS variant of the PTH08080 is almost the same thing as the WAH, just without the legs, and it uses leaded solder instead of lead free. Otherwise, they're the exact same thing. That being said, I would highly advise against using PTH regs for any kind of modern portable. You're going to end up spending a good amount of money on the regs, and then you'll spend some more on some kind of lipo charging / protection circuit, and it won't be very pretty to wire up. In the event that you can't get this PMS back in good working order, I would highly recommend waiting until the PMS Lite is back in stock, and investing in one of those. I understand that it may seem like a high upfront cost, but it will save you a lot of headache down the road, compared to trying custom regs. Plus it integrates with RVLoader and the USB-C board, unlike custom regs.

That's all just my 2 cents; I hope some of it helps!

dababy

okay this is some great advice. i will try all this tonight. the only reason i suggested custom regulators is because i was looking a some other products for something else but slightly similar and most of the parts had waiting liosts for over a year so if the pms comes back in stock i will def purchase one... or maybe two this tme around
thanks a ton