Question PMS lite not suppling 5v

void

The 5v pad is giving the same voltage as the batteries

Portables
I think this chip is not working
View attachment 27484
The two pins circled in red are giving the same voltage. Im pretty sure that the pin on the right should be giving 5 volts, but instead its giving the same 3.64v
Maybe someone else can step in and help identify this component, also I would inspect the full board to make sure there’s no shorts or excess solder where it shouldn’t be.
DBC7A9B6-9CCD-4BBB-99B1-5262DDF1A292.jpeg

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
The U10, U2, U3 devices you circled are all marked 2DWH which is a Texas instrument TPS62867RQYR. Someone may correct me if I am wrong.

Attachments

Portables
Oops i forgot to mention for him to check for shorts in the ones circled red and someone help identify this one here. It’s from his earlier post he made
709D70BD-9D06-4ECC-BB36-4EEB93EE8A04.jpeg

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Oops i forgot to mention for him to check for shorts in the ones circled red and someone help identify this one here. It’s from his earlier post he made
Yeah that component is a bit trickier to identify because of the SMD marking. I couldn't find any spec sheets online for it.

Silly question for @void; have you tried disconnecting all batteries from PMS and turning it on and off half a dozen times?

At one point when I was building my first ashida it just stopped booting entirely. I was getting weird voltage readings across all my rails, I pulled the batteries out of it and power cycled it quite a few times. Put the batteries back in and it has worked without issue since then.

It's very rare but sometimes the circuits on a board need to be entirely discharged before the circuit behaves normally again.

Remove the batteries, and check your voltage from 5v/3.3v to GND. If you read anything higher than 0, cycle the power switch until you read 0.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah that component is a bit trickier to identify because of the SMD marking. I couldn't find any spec sheets online for it.

Silly question for @void; have you tried disconnecting all batteries from PMS and turning it on and off half a dozen times?

At one point when I was building my first ashida it just stopped booting entirely. I was getting weird voltage readings across all my rails, I pulled the batteries out of it and power cycled it quite a few times. Put the batteries back in and it has worked without issue since then.

It's very rare but sometimes the circuits on a board need to be entirely discharged before the circuit behaves normally again.

Remove the batteries, and check your voltage from 5v/3.3v to GND. If you read anything higher than 0, cycle the power switch until you read 0.
It could be saturation, yeah. A full drain is absolutely worth a shot

void

I removed the batteries and power cycled till 3.3v was 0, for some reason 5v is about -0.41v though, and when the batteries where removed 5v was getting 4.14v and with the batteries back on 5v has the same voltage as the batteries.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I removed the batteries and power cycled till 3.3v was 0, for some reason 5v is about -0.41v though, and when the batteries where removed 5v was getting 4.14v and with the batteries back on 5v has the same voltage as the batteries.
Do you have continuity between the 5v pad and the B+ pad on the PMS? The 5v reg might be shorted

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
I just checked B+ against 5v on a spare PMS LITE I have and got OL (no continuity)

You've got a short somewhere that's creating either a voltage drop, or causing one of the voltage regulators to not function properly.

The PMS LITE is closed source so there are no schematics available to help you troubleshoot this down an SMD component level.

Last thing I can think of would be to unsolder every wire from it, and basically bathe that puppy in 99% IPA and SCRUB SCRUB SCRUB. Half a dozen times at least. If that doesn't resolve your issue I think at this point you're better off buying a new board.

Sorry buddy );

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Removing and replacing the 5v regulator is an option as well, but yeah I'd give it a good clean first and inspect the 5v reg for a visible short between VIN and VOUT