Question My Own Liiptop (My upcoming Wii portable using a "Leap Frog My Own Leaptop" as the shell)

Linx87

Hello, it is I Linx87! This is going to be my first Wii Portable, and I needed some help, I am going to use my younger brother's old Leaptop as the shell for my portable but, I needed some help figuring out how I can wire up the Wii! I am going to use a 5" inch screen, how would I wire it up, I've looked at many worklogs but, I still haven't figure that part out! Also, how would I wire up the GC+?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I am going to use a 5" inch screen, how would I wire it up,
It depends on which screen you get and how you want to hook up video. The easiest way would be to get one that has composite support (the yellow RCA jack). There will be a wire going to the board that you can cut off and replace with a wire going directly to the video out on the wii board.

Also, how would I wire up the GC+?
You would have tact switches for each button. Connect one side to the correct button on the GC+ (they are labeled) and the other side to ground. Then the data line gets connected with a wired between the data pin on the GC+ and the associated data spot on the wii (eg player 1)

Linx87

It depends on which screen you get and how you want to hook up video. The easiest way would be to get one that has composite support (the yellow RCA jack). There will be a wire going to the board that you can cut off and replace with a wire going directly to the video out on the wii board.

You would have tact switches for each button. Connect one side to the correct button on the GC+ (they are labeled) and the other side to ground. Then the data line gets connected with a wired between the data pin on the GC+ and the associated data spot on the wii (eg player 1)
Thank you Cheese, your information is going to be rather helpful!

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
You should check out the Guides section. They have a full trimming guide for wiis that might answer some of your questions. It shows places that you can wire things like video and audio. No idea if you plan on trimming it or not, but it's still a good thing to read through. :)

Linx87

You should check out the Guides section. They have a full trimming guide for wiis that might answer some of your questions. It shows places that you can wire things like video and audio. No idea if you plan on trimming it or not, but it's still a good thing to read through. :)
I've looked at the trimming guide, but I didn't understand it completely. I haven't even opened up my Wii yet, as I do not have the tools to do so plus, I don't have all the parts for my portable yet. Also, do I install PortablizeMii before I trim the Wii, if not then how do I connect the ports required to install it if, I have trimmed the board?

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I've looked at the trimming guide, but I didn't understand it completely. I haven't even opened up my Wii yet, as I do not have the tools to do so plus, I don't have all the parts for my portable yet. Also, do I install PortablizeMii before I trim the Wii, if not then how do I connect the ports required to install it if, I have trimmed the board?
You need to install it beforehand. If you trim the board first, you'll have to hook up Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and usb at least. Not including other issues that might arise. One step at a time makes it easier to troubleshoot. So definitely get it set up before trimming :)

Linx87

What could I use to charge the Portable's batteries through Micro USB?

The Next Guy

Sun Dried Cases
Portables
Melted in the Sun
This is just from my own experience but I do not recommend using micro USB to charge with as they shouldn't carry more than 2 amps which would slow the charge. If you have any barrel jacks and plugs I would use those. Aside from that I would find either a battery + charger combo or find your standard Panasonic or Samsung 18650s with a multicell charger that is specific for 3.7v lithium Ion batteries. Here are links to compatible batteries and chargers:

Batteries: http://a.co/1Q2A0Hn
Charger: http://www.ebay.com/itm/192110391518

And if you already have whatever batteries that you need, you need to find what voltage the charger requires to operate. If you really want to use micro USB, It needs to be able to take 5V. Once you find out that voltage, solder appropriate connections (positive to positive and negative to negative)

Linx87

This is just from my own experience but I do not recommend using micro USB to charge with as they shouldn't carry more than 2 amps which would slow the charge. If you have any barrel jacks and plugs I would use those. Aside from that I would find either a battery + charger combo or find your standard Panasonic or Samsung 18650s with a multicell charger that is specific for 3.7v lithium Ion batteries. Here are links to compatible batteries and chargers:

Batteries: http://a.co/1Q2A0Hn
Charger: http://www.ebay.com/itm/192110391518

And if you already have whatever batteries that you need, you need to find what voltage the charger requires to operate. If you really want to use micro USB, It needs to be able to take 5V. Once you find out that voltage, solder appropriate connections (positive to positive and negative to negative)
Thanks!

The Next Guy

Sun Dried Cases
Portables
Melted in the Sun
If you are talking about using a PSP charger to charge your batteries, make sure the batteries you plan on using have a charger board. What batteries do you plan on using?