Worklog MG&C's GameCube Advance

Which hinge?

• GBA SP hinge

• DS Lite hinge

• 3DS XL hinge

Results are only viewable after voting.
Portables
working on No.1
Alright, time to pull a @Shank & @Gman and re-make the portable that inspired me.

I'm sure we are all familiar with @GingerOfOz 's Nintendo FakeCube:

Unlike most people, this was the first video about portables that I ever saw, and having grown up with the white slab that was the Nintendo Wii, my first thought was:

This

is

MIND BLOWING!!!!!!

So, to fulfill the inner Nerd that wanted that thing in my hands, I am going to finally re- create and improve that design, and fully open-source it for anyone like me who was inspired by it.

Goals:
  • To improve the battery life to about 3 hours, give or take
  • Fix the weird grips/get rid of the Mikey Mouse ears
  • to design the custom PCBs so they are good enough to use
  • to improve the usability so it can be more than just a pretty shelf piece
  • Open source the build
If i don't update regularly, please ask if there are any updates so i can get back on track.

Wish me luck :XD:

Portables
working on No.1
Update:

Designed the screen holder. can't confirm the screen will fit nicely, as I don't have it, but I have checked it against a piece of paper of the same dimensions.
1714546548707.png

The major road block I've hit is the hinges. I plan to use DS Lite hinges like in ginger's video, but I simply cannot re-create the ds lite hinge holes, as I don't have a ds lite.

could anyone help me with that? I would be really grateful to anyone who could help at all.

Portables
-1 learning
y have a proposal woudent it be better to have a wii disk drive (with a switch to turn it on and off for battery life ) and build the portable around the disc drive that would be cool
so its big to bee confortable but not too much to be a pain in the ass?
(edit) it could also be an external disk drive to save space ( it conects via usb )

Portables
working on No.1
y have a proposal woudent it be better to have a wii disk drive (with a switch to turn it on and off for battery life ) and build the portable around the disc drive that would be cool
so its big to bee confortable but not too much to be a pain in the ass?
(edit) it could also be an external disk drive to save space ( it conects via usb )
maybe.
it would be a pain, but I might design one that can connect via usb, but it isn't very likely I could get it working.
putting it inside would make it significantly thicker, and i wouldn't have space for batteries either.

Portables
working on No.1
Long overdue update:

I have finished the screen holder, and created a awful prototype hinge.

1714964936002.png

1714964972935.png

I have decided against using ds lite hinges, instead I am going to either use GBA SP hinges, or 3DS XL hinges.

I also mostly designed the lid piece, however, I can't do test prints, as my printer decided to fill itself with filament instead of printing what I wanted to print, so for now I am stuck cleaning blue PLA from the inside of the extruder, so:(

But besides that, it's been going well! I did end up going back and ironing out some minor issues in the screen holder, and fleshed out the geometry a little.

Fingers crossed I get my printer working!

Portables
working on No.1
WAY overdue update:

Printer almost fixed, I decided to use 3DS XL Hinges, and I'm beginning to design the controller slate.

I designed some GameCube ABXY buttons that are 85% the size of OEM buttons and button wells for them.
Screenshot 2024-05-12 161754.png
Screenshot 2024-05-12 161937.png
Screenshot 2024-05-12 161919.png
Screenshot 2024-05-12 161859.png
Screenshot 2024-05-12 161838.png

I've also finished the lid piece, which I am proud of. I used @jefflongo 's GameCube logo, and had a good crack at the geometry.
Screenshot 2024-05-12 162004.png

I'm currently nailing down the hinges, so keep an eye out for more (hopefully more regular) updates :)

Portables
working on No.1
I will! :D I will try to do regular updates more often, but it's a bit hit and miss!