Question Looking into Building a Portable Wii

MJD

Hey,
This is my first time posting so sorry if I don't know what i'm asking, but I'm looking to building a portable Wii, but I don't really know much about PCB's and like how to even move and rewire the USB ports on the Wii. How would I go about learning how to do all of this? I'm somewhat discouraged, but I would like to give it a shot, I just have no idea where to look to learn any of this stuff. I'v done as much research as I could but there are not many tutorials or anything of that variety that explains how this all works and how to do it. The simplest tasks I get stuck wondering how I would do. Help if you can thank you!

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Read through all the guides on the forums. This includes Shank's electronics 101 playlist, the Wii trimming guide, Ginger's new troubleshooting guide, and any other guides you can find. Most of portablizing the Wii consists of cutting something off and then rewiring it where it was cut off. The trimming guide will tell you how to relocate things such as USB.

Also read through as many worklogs on this site as you can find. Most of us were noobs when we started too, so reading through peoples' progress as they improved can give you hints on what to study and to avoid common mistakes. This hobby requires a lot of outside research, but it is totally doable no matter what skill level you're at if you have a willingness to put in the work to learn.

MJD

Thank you for the tips and encouragement, I'm gonna give it a go. Maybe ill create a beginners work log as well :awesome:.

Last edited:
Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
Get familiar with basic soldering and de-soldering. If you plan on relocating things like USB ports, controllers, etc you will need to know soldering 101. Are you familiar with basic electronics such as ground, voltage, polarity, etc? If not, familiarize yourself with that as well.

As Jefflongo said, read through the tutorials. There are a lot of them for various things and they are all very helpful. Making a portable is a lot of hard work and if you cut corners you will pay for it later, so save yourself the trouble now and take the time to read and be informed.

MJD

Get familiar with basic soldering and de-soldering. If you plan on relocating things like USB ports, controllers, etc you will need to know soldering 101. Are you familiar with basic electronics such as ground, voltage, polarity, etc? If not, familiarize yourself with that as well.

As Jefflongo said, read through the tutorials. There are a lot of them for various things and they are all very helpful. Making a portable is a lot of hard work and if you cut corners you will pay for it later, so save yourself the trouble now and take the time to read and be informed.
Thank you! Just trying to plan it out in my head and learn, not gonna start the actual build process till I feel at least a little confident about knowing what I'm doing.