Logitech Netplay

Saw something called a Logitech Netplay on reddit this morning. Ebay seems to have them selling for $30-$60. Might be useful for someone looking to make a Portable PS2.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
I copied Darkwings idea, and used a cheap clock for the main shell which also gave me somewhere to put the batteries. The Netplay controller worked well, but is more suited to someone with large hands (which isn't me! lol). In the end the entire thing was self contained and bulletproof.

That's great! I'm glad someone else has done this. Thanks for showning me! That thing looks awesome.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
For what it's worth, mine turned out to be very similar. The one other stand out thing with the netplay is that you can't get any other thumbstick due to a very unique shape and size. Doesn't worry - I'm big on blue anyway!

That's also way cool. Do you have any pictures of the inside? Or links to what they look like? I'm curious how big the (seemingly) split controller boards are. This might be a project I do some time in the future.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Here you go :)

This was actually a re-casing project from the first portable I made (it wasn't solid enough for me, and was made out of tupperware - I'm also not all that proud of this as I really just pulled everything out and stuffed it into the new case) given that I used the clock I got some solid mounting points, but also had to do a significant amount of moulding to get the netplay pieces to fit the new form, as previously there had been flat mounts. That did add a lot of weight, so naturally my suggestion would be to cut up the Netplay controller after you're happy with the rest of it.

There was one last funny thing, and that had to do with the netplay sending back phantom button presses due to wires being exposed. I ended up stripping off the cabling (the grey heavy cable) and wrapping it solidly with grounded copper tape, which then had to be wrapped with insulation tape. Suggestion here: don't route the controller cable where I did!

I also didn't have a charge and play board for the 26650 batteries, so opted to use a couple of relays. In hindsight using an 18650 charge and play would have been a much better idea when it came to saving space. And yes - it rumbles like a motherf*cker! lol

Thanks! Those boards for the controller halves are significantly larger than I had hoped. But I'll probably snag one of those bad boys from ebay anyways. Thanks!