Worklog Legend's (yet to be named) new portable

Legend

Portables
Ill start this worklog off by saying its not healthy start other projects before finishing previous ones, however that's what I'm doing right now lol. I do plan to finish the Nintendo Viita as soon as I develop more CAD skills etc. I just figured id make a less curvy portable while I'm still figuring everything out. Without further ado, here's what I'm after:

- Smaller form factor clamshell case
- Custom LMAO trim
- Custom PMS (to learn with and hopefully succeed)
- 3.5" VGA screen
- Custom GC+ w/ DS lite buttons and custom triggers
- Custom U-AMP w/ Headphone Jack
- and more that ill get into lol

So pretty much I'm trying to take a different approach to designing this portable. Usually I've been seeing people either take their hardware and develop a case around it all, or take a case idea and try to fit all of their hardware into it. The approach I took was kind of both at once, I'm designing the case in conjunction with the hardware to be sure everything fits in.

So far what I have is your standard rectangular clamshell design that is 139.80mm x 90.13mm. the bottom half has a height of 20.70mm and the top half is still in production.
Bottom Case.PNG

I still have yet to put in screw posts that connect the top and bottom case pieces together, however i left room and am compensating for that when designing the top half of the case. what you see so far is battery, cooling, trigger, and custom pcb placement. the piece with the hole on the bottom is for routing wires to the top half of the case when assembling to keep things together more.

Here is the bottom PCB so far:
Bottom PCB.PNG

Now before anybody starts roasting me about how this may not work or how sketchy it may be lol, this is subject to change and just a learning experience for now, so if I blow some money on prototypes and they don't work. it is what it is, but lets get into some features and ill explain some things:

- RVL-PMS Functionality
- Barrel Jack for charging
- USB port that connects to Wii data lines.
- Sketchy battery pads (will explain)

So pretty much the battery situation is this. I could have probably made a holder in the case with some battery clips however it looked like it was taking up more space then what I have above. so my plan is once I'm ready to assemble the portable and test the board, ill screw it into the case, solder a battery to the left side of the pcb, then I have a jumper I can bridge for testing, then un-bridge when assembling the rest. If it works out alright, then ill just solder the other battery in and call it a day.

Talking more about the bottom half, I was having a hard time designing some triggers, so i truthfully took and modified Wesk's Aran triggers to fit in (bless you Wesk). Here is it all together:

Bottom all together.PNG

So that's what I kind of have going on for now. I'm going to finish the top half and figure out screw posts to connect the 2 pieces together. Ill be in soon with some more updates.