Question [Last question UPDATED] Questions about my PS2 Slim SCPH-77004 project (SAMBA Router and SSD integrated)

Hi community:

I'm from Spain and newbie in this fantastic community, I'm working on my first personal project, that is integrate a travel router to make use of the SAMBA protocol to share games, and replace the CD / DVD drive with a SATA disk (it can be a HDD or SSD) which its USB to SATA adapter is attached directly to the router, to be able to use the bandwith of the ethernet port (100 Mbps or 12MB/s theorically).

I'm using these components for this project:

*PlayStation 2 Slim PAL model SCPH-77004
*GL-iNet MT300N-V2 router with the lastest OpenWrt 21.03 system flashed.
*USB to SATA uGreen adapter, which is UAS (USB Attached SCSI) and capable to use USB 2.0 and 3.0 protocols.
*DC-DC stepdown Mini 560 buck with 5V output to power the travel router and the USB to SATA adapter, each one are powered with 5V and 1A, well, the power for the USB to SATA adapter depends more of the SATA device attached to it, but in general, a 2.5" SATA disk is powered with 1A.

Well, I need to know which is the best component or solder point from where to take the 8.5V to provide to the DC-DC stepdown the IN line (and of course, its corresponding GND), with the security that the ampers taken from that solder point / component doesn't make any negative impact in the PlayStation 2.

I hope that you can understand me well, I'm so sorry for my english, is not my native language, if you need more info or something, don't hesitate to say it and I will try to give you that info / explanation that you need, thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
The points highlighted in red should provide 8.5 volts
View attachment 22611
Thanks mate for the answer, I thought that the MOSFETS will be my best bet, talking about the MOSFETS, which is the purpose of each one of them? I want to say if each one of them is for each USB port or one of them is for the USB ports and the other for other board component.

And last thing, about the GND for the circuit (In Line for the DC-DC stepdown and the 2 Out Line from DC-DC stepdown to the router and to the USB to SATA adapter), where I should take the GND???

Thanks again, I know that this kind of questions be a newbie's question for this forum, but I don't want to break the console because I'm newbie, hehee.

Any copper plane connected to the shrouds of the USB ports is GND, as is essentially the entire border of the board. If you have access to a multimeter you can find any voltage or common plane you want. Highly recommended tool for a newbie lol

Any copper plane connected to the shrouds of the USB ports is GND, as is essentially the entire border of the board. If you have access to a multimeter you can find any voltage or common plane you want. Highly recommended tool for a newbie lol
Yes, I got a multimeter, and I know that my questions are so... stupid, anyway, finally, I've taken the 8,5V directly from the power connector (positive) and the ground from one of the shrouds of the second USB port (right port). Other thing is that after disassembly my PS2 Slim 77004 it has a GH052-51 motherboard, which is not the same that appears in your picture and have the mosfets in another locations, I commented this, because I want to know if someone knows which is the mosfet (or an alternative and better alternative solder pinout) that provides power to the DVD unit in this motherboard, because I've been searching with the multimeter and with my poor knowledgement in electronic, I have not able to do it, and of course, this is because of like I will place the SSD / HDD where the DVD unit goes, I want to use its voltage (DVD Unit) for be able to use the ENABLE function of the DC-DC stepdown.

The DC-DC stepdown is equiped with a chip JW5068A (selled like mini 560, you can find it at ebay or aliexpress with that name), I've tried with a 5V voltage provided from the mosfet under the USB ports and it works when you turn on the PS2, but when you turn off the PS2, the DC-DC stepdown continues to function, it doesn't turn off like it has to do (turning off when you doesn't provide a voltage at the enable pinout). Other thing about this, is that if, do I have to solder the cord to the ENABLE pinout with a resistor in serial, for example with a value of 100K ohms to minimize the power consumption of the DC-DC stepdown using the ENABLE pinout???

The only datasheet that I've been able to find about the JW5068A is in the next webpage: "datasheet"
If you take a look to that webpage, at the left bottom, you can see a pdf link about the performance of the stepdown in a test environment, I've seen the oscilloscope graph, but I'm not able to interpreter the circuit and the graph correctly.

I'm so sorry about my newbie's questions, but I want to do this by myself in place to send my console and the other components to a shop and learn in the process about the PS2 Slim hardware modding scene. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited: