Discussion Japanese Wii to be used in Aus

Ewhizz

Hi guys,
Am wondering if anyone knows whether there are differences to Japanese and Australian wii consoles.
For instance if I was to purchase a wii in Japan and do the omgwtf trim to used it in a wii portable powered by 7.4v by way of custom regulators would this be fine?
Thanks

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hi guys,
Am wondering if anyone knows whether there are differences to Japanese and Australian wii consoles.
For instance if I was to purchase a wii in Japan and do the omgwtf trim to used it in a wii portable powered by 7.4v by way of custom regulators would this be fine?
Thanks
It'd work, but I think you might be stuck with Japanese text in some menus. You can use bootmii to change the console's firmware region to PAL/NTSC if you need to, but it comes with certain risks. If you want to go that route, I can build a .bin for you to use if you supply me with a NAND backup of the console in question.

Ewhizz

If I supply this information to you would the unit work problem free as if it was an Aus trimmed motherboard ?
Thanks very much

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If I supply this information to you would the unit work problem free as if it was an Aus trimmed motherboard ?
Thanks very much
Yeah, once you flash the new PAL image it'd behave the same as a Wii bought here.

Ewhizz

Will the regular Aus Wii power supply work fine? Thanks

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Will the regular Aus Wii power supply work fine? Thanks
The connection hardware is identical. All cables will work the same across Wiis of all revisions (except minis).

Ewhizz

Hi ive finally gotten around to installing portabalize mii on this japanese wii. I downloaded the japanese region PM package so should i go ahead and install this first or are there other steps required in order to get this functioning like a regular Australian wii would. What data do you require @Stitches. ?
Kind regards

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hi ive finally gotten around to installing portabalize mii on this japanese wii. I downloaded the japanese region PM package so should i go ahead and install this first or are there other steps required in order to get this functioning like a regular Australian wii would. What data do you require @Stitches. ?
Kind regards
If you go into BootMii from the Homebrew channel, you can make a NAND backup onto an SD card. If you upload a zip of the keys.bin and nand.bin files that BootMii makes to Google Drive, or Dropbox or something, I can use that to build you a PAL NAND image that you can use BootMii to flash onto the Wii.

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
I also used a japanese wii once, the only difference you will notice using Portabilizemii, is the language of the Wii-Menu. (Prii-/Postloader/other homebrew will be in english).
If you want to change the region of the Wii, make sure to do it before trimming, cause you'll need the SD-Card Slot! I bricked one trying to do that later >.<

Everything else is just the same as with every other wii.

Ewhizz

Do I need to run the cheese installer first? If so I keep getting a message stating no USB is being detected. Have tried it in both USB ports and doesn't seem to change anything. USB has been formatted FAT32 with 32kb clusters
Thanks

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
To make a NAND backup? No, you just hit home/start in the Homebrew Channel, go to BootMii and select the icon of an arrow going from a chip to an SD card. There's no point installing PM on the Wii before making the backup, the PAL NAND I'd build from it would be stock.

Ewhizz

Okay I believe I've done that. Ill pm you about the Google drive info .
Thanks