I just had an idea for GC2Wiimote and the GC+

I don't know if this was already thought of, but I'm just going to put this here just in case.

I was browsing the other day and I found that the creator of the GC+ was not planning on making another revision of the hardware anytime soon. So then an idea popped into my head, what if you could add more buttons by only revising the software?

If you could map a button combo to emulate a single button, then you could effectively have as many buttons as you like.

For example, let's say you wanted the full works for buttons. 2 control sticks, 14 action buttons, and a home button. With the current iteration of the GC+, you can almost do that, but you would be 2 buttons short.
With being able to map button combos, you could map combos that are highly unlikely, or even impossible (i.e. opposite directions on a traditional D-Pad), and have them all connected with diodes to a single switch. Then you could press the entire combo with a single switch. Here's a simple schematic to illustrate what I mean:

Emulating a home button by pressing ABXY all at once
Emulating a home button by pressing ABXY all at once

This is just a solution I came up with that would allow modders to have the full classic controller layout if they wanted to, without having to update the current hardware.

Of course, I don't have the programming skills or enough understanding of GC2Wiimote to make this a reality. So I thought I'd just try throwing it to the wall and see if it sticks.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
RVLoader features GC button remapping now so it sort of does this idea. Full on combos could probably be added as well entirely in software. This is a good approach as it is future proof and doesnt require a hardware change. RVLoader is opensource for anyone who wants to dive in.